help i am a little confused

paperadventures    

Hey. I have recently been realizing that when I'm walking around I'm checking out the girls and guys (I'm a girl. I get nervous around both guys and girls. I know i like boys, but I've developed a crush on one of my female best friends. She identifies as asexual. I haven't told anyone that i might be bisexual, but I'm a little afraid that I'm just bicurious, and that I'm just making up my crush on this girl. I've read all the articles i can get my hands on but i honestly don't know if i should come out, or if i should wait, just what i should do overall. Please help!!

Hey there! I've been in a similar situation, but the friend I had a crush on was bi. I would say to come out to a close friend or just someone trusted as bicurious, so that you are not alone while you figure this out. While no one can experience your personal feelings or make that conclusion for you, it helps to have someone you can confess this discovery to without feeling judged or forced to be bi. For example, the first friend I came out to was my pansexual friend. She knew what it was like to be freaked out and doubtful, and helped me through the entire process, including eventually coming out to our friend group. She is now trying to help me come out to my family. Everyone needs that person that you know will care for you throughout all the questions, and will give up their time for research and deep conversations. However, always remember that you are who you are. Never feel forced to be LGBT. Being a straight person who has doubted their sexuality is okay too. Many people don't acknowledge heterophobia in the queer community. Remember, this is your story, and you are the only one who can write it.

Hey PAPERADVENTURES,

Thanks for sharing with us on Community so we can support you.

How are you feeling about this? I know how hard it can be when questioning your sexuality.

In regard to developing a crush on your friend, do you plan on telling her? It could be good to talk about it so that you are not thinking about it too much.

I remember not being sure about my sexuality when I was in school, it was horrible and I just wanted to know who I was straight away. However, the thing is, it often takes time to figure out these things about ourselves. I'm 25 now and still learning new stuff regularly! It is important to take tour time to discover your sexuality - society often puts pressure on us to know our identity from an early age, but there really is no rush. Just take time to see how your feelings develop in terms of whoever you are attracted to.

Here is a help guide which you may find useful:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/8-things-know-questioning-sexuality/

As I said, I would take time to explore the feelings you are having towards girls, and then maybe you can start to think about coming out once you are sure. But also, you could come out by saying that you aren't sure what your sexuality is. This is also fine and it may help to strengthen your relationships.

I hope this advice helps and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sending positive vibes -Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Thanks for helping guys. I told my best friend I've known for 7 years 2 days ago that i thought i might be bisexual. She was so supportive and happy for me and she came out to me too and it was really a nice conversation. Anyway I don't plan on telling my other friend about my crush. I figured it wasn't important since nothing could ever happen.

Anyway I read that article and it was really helpful and it gave me the courage to come out to my friend. I'm a little nervous to tell some of my other friends though, and I think I might wait a few months because I don't really know where they stand with their views on lgbtq+ people anyway. I'm sure some of them are very religious.

But I'm also wondering if when I do come out to them and they maybe don't accept that or try to tell me its a phase or something, if I should break our friendship or if I should just accept our differences. Most of us are going to different schools next year anyway, but I know I am still going to see them a lot.

Sorry for the long reply. There has just been a lot on my mind. Thanks again for helping! ?'???

Hey :)

I am happy that you found the advice helpful, and well done for coming out! How are you feeling about everything now?

Some people may be shocked when you come out to them which can result in them having a bad reaction to the news. However, with such important news, it is important to be patient and give the person time to process it and come around. Also, some people may react badly because their negative views about LGBTQ+ may have been forced upon them by religion and culture, and those opinions may not represent what they actually feel. They may actually want to be accepting, but don't want to go against their religion. Although it can be upsetting when people you love react badly to you coming out, it is important to give them a chance.

I hope this advice is helpful and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Positive vibezzz - Monsoon :)

Hi,

So I understand that some people feel uncomfortable with the lgbtqia community because of their religion and so I have decided to not tell mt religious friends for a long long time.

Anyway update: My crush just asked my a question a couple of days ago where she was wondering if i didn't know her and i was guessing her sexuality if she would be straight or not, and i said not because of course thats what i want cause i like her, and then she told me she is still figuring it out. Even though she's been identifying as ace for a year or two she's questioning again. I think this was her coming out to me so i told her i was bi. She and I have really bonded in the last few days and I think I like her even more but i don't know what to say, or if i should even tell her at all. I wasn't going to tell her before because she said she was ace, but now i think there might be a chance. What should I do?

Also I completely am not forcing the bi on her but i don't know i feel kind of bad about answering that question because there's no way of telling someone's sexuality from what they look like.

Hey PAPERADVENTURES!

How are you? I understand that you don't want to tell your religious friends for a very long time. I notice originally you said you wasn't sure on your sexuality, and now you are discussing coming out. Does this mean that you have decided? If so, that's great :). If that is the case, here is a help guide you may find useful:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/top-11-tips-for-coming-out-as-lesbian-gay-or-bi/

Also, Community will be here for you if you want anymore advice :)

Going back to the crush you have on your friend, I think it's very important that you tell her. Life is too short to not be open and honest. Even if it doesn't go anywhere, you will feel better for telling her.

I hope you find this advice useful, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sending positive vibes -Monsoon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Thanks for helping me so much! Anyway I have decided I am bisexual but then again it could change. Anyway I plan on telling my crush, but I don't exactly know how to do that. I was planning on telling her when we hung out a couple days ago, but I couldn't pull myself together in order to do it, much less get any sensible words out. I was acting really weird around her and awkward and I was just an overall trainwreck. She just thought it was funny so I guess that's good. I don't really know what to say to her to have real conversation without sounding like a trainwreck, so I should probably work on that.

This conversation has really helped me. Thank you.

Hey.

Thanks for replying. I think it's great that you have decided on your sexuality, and it's also good that you realise that this could change. How do you feel now that you've decided?

With your crush, the best thing to do is to not overthink it and just tell her how you feel. If you are too scared to do this in person, maybe you could send a message telling her how you feel? It doesn't matter if you sound like a train wreck - it just means that you have strong feelings about this, and it shows her that you are serious. :)

I hope this advice helps. Let me know if you don't find it useful and we can think of something else!

-Monsoon :)