Internalized Homophobia?

Lucario 727    

My family is very Christian. Over the years, they've told me that being homosexual is a sin. Every time my family sees something that's  LGBTQ related anywhere, they always say things like "It's not natural" and "it's a mental illness".  I agree with them, but then immediately afterwards, I also remember that  I'm bisexual and as a member of the community, I should also be a strong supporter. It constantly causes me anguish. What would you do if you were in this situation? Also, any tips and/or advice?

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @Lucario 727 
I am Daisie a Community Warden here on the forums and I just came across your post, I wondered if you’d feel it’s beneficial to chat to our Trained Digital Mentors and get some support and advice? I will tag them in so you know who they are and so they can reach out to you. @Monsoon & @Aurora

If you need anything in the meantime please feel free to reach out. 😊

15 hours ago, Lucario 727 said:

My family is very Christian. Over the years, they've told me that being homosexual is a sin. Every time my family sees something that's  LGBTQ related anywhere, they always say things like "It's not natural" and "it's a mental illness".  I agree with them, but then immediately afterwards, I also remember that  I'm bisexual and as a member of the community, I should also be a strong supporter. It constantly causes me anguish. What would you do if you were in this situation? Also, any tips and/or advice?

Hey @Lucario 727

Welcome. As Daisie kindly pointed out, I'm one of the digital mentors and I give advice to those who reach out :)

This sounds like such a tricky position to be in because you know your identity, but your surroundings aren't supportive at all. What is this like for you on an emotional level? Do you find it hard to cope with?

Also, I'm wondering, when you ask about what someone else would do in this situation, do you have an idea of what your next steps might be at all?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

@Monsoon, It's very difficult to deal with this, day after day. I just wish that my family would shut up about it.  Often, after they say these things, I try to reassure myself that my identity is valid and I am too, despite what my family says. For my next steps, I think I'll slowly try to bring up the topic of the LGBTQ community, and discuss it with my parents, to see exactly where they stand.

23 hours ago, Lucario 727 said:

@Monsoon, It's very difficult to deal with this, day after day. I just wish that my family would shut up about it.  Often, after they say these things, I try to reassure myself that my identity is valid and I am too, despite what my family says. For my next steps, I think I'll slowly try to bring up the topic of the LGBTQ community, and discuss it with my parents, to see exactly where they stand.

Hey,

Yeah, that's a really good idea. Just remember that even though some parents do have negative views towards the community, when they find out about their child's sexuality, it changes everything, and for a lot of parents, it's a real turning point in the sense that they then become more open minded and accepting which is down to the strong love they have for their child. What do you think about that?

I know it can be hard to still see your identity is valid when those around you are so unsupportive, but remember this: your identity and existence is reality, and their belief is a belief. 

@Monsoon, I think that it could be possible that their views of the community could change if I came out to them. However, I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

Hey,

Thats fair enough; this is your journey and you get to decide when you take your next step. What do you think you might do then? Are you going to give it some time?