How to talk with your sister about your sexuality?

bookwoman98    

So, I'm bisexual. Which isn't a big deal. But I have a sister that lives with a guy that is... Well, against other sexualities. Even my sister has said some stuff now about how it is strange for someone to be bi or gay. Well great, right? Anyways, so I feel a bit trapped, and my sister means a lot to me. But I don't know how to talk to her about this, about how I feel when she says things like that, She has said other things as well about it, so what can I do? I just don't know how to talk to her. I have mentioned that I'm bi, that I also like girls. But she kind of neglects it or even starts talking about me and guys after a while again. I like both. I don't know how I'll get her to understand... If someone has any answers or advice, I'll be glad to hear them.

Hey BOOKWOMAN98,

Thanks for coming to Community with this. We are here to help you through this - you are not alone.

I'm sorry to hear that your sister isn't dealing with this in the way that you want. How does this make you feel?

It sounds like the guy she lives with is influencing her opinion a lot if she didn't have these opinions before.

I think it would be beneficial to meet up with her somewhere neutral e.g. a cafe (just the two of you) and have an open conversation about it. By being in a neutral environment, this can help to relax the situation. It is important to approach it in a calm manner and try not to get angry when talking.

Although this can be a scary thought, it is the best way to deal with it by asking them outright why they are behaving the way they are. You could also explain how much it would mean to you if she understood because of how much you care about her.

Also, maybe you could link her to this help guide once you've had your conversation with her (if you decide to do so):

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/10-things-never-say-bisexual/

I hope this helps and I look forward to your response.

Hang in there! -Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e