Jump to content

Issues with body image


Go to solution Solved by Monsoon,

Recommended Posts

growing up, I have always been really skinny. This is honestly the least of my concerns right now, but even though a lot of people see me as the ideal body image, my eating habits have gotten worse. a few years ago a few people said my face was a little chubby, so remember going on this extreme diet were I barely ate and did cardio for 3 hours. Now, I know doing cardio is healthy but you should maintain a proper diet. During this time I just looked at the numbers on the scale and it felt good seeing the numbers go down, but there was a point it was horrible. I was like 5'1 and like 69 ish pounds which is like on the verge of anorexia. I remember my doctor was shaming me for it and saying how she was disappointed, this caused serious mental health problems, even though its been 2 years I have gained like 35 pounds and am healthy. Now, people are still body shaming me because 2 years ago I started hitting the gym, like lifting heavy and stuff, I gained some pretty noticeable muscle mass. I am really happy with my toned and muscular look because I feel strong, but people say girls should not lift too heavy but like I don't really care. I kind of started to lose weight again because I have really fast metabolism. My diet isn't the best I eat like 1500 calories or less which I feel isn't enough, I feel guilty when snacking, so I don't snack. People tell me my body type os more masculine and like I have some masculine features, which I didn't mind until like people started being weird about it and were calling me things like flat, so I started wearing baggy clothes. I like my body, but people often judge me no matter what. I remember when I was really underweight, no one helped me, they just reminded me about how unhealthy I looked, they constantly name called me. I think the reason I was also pressured into losing weight before was because these 2 people kept telling me to stop eating whenever I ate. When I actually lost weight,  i told them it was because of them who made me do this to myself, then they started calling me a rat. They also claimed when they called me a whale and stuff it was all jokes and I took it seriously, but I don't honestly think they were joking because it was like a everyday thing. I am so glad that unhealthy diet stopped, it was really bad and mortifying. I feel like even today, it still affected my diet because I don't look at food the same way as I used to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor

Hey,

Thank you for sharing this personal story about your relationship with food and your body; how does it feel to talk about this here? You have been mistreated by people when they were making negative comments about what you were eating and your appearance. It's hard to not let these experiences get to you. Their comments were so hurtful and anyone would be impacted by them. What do you think? If you could rant at these people, what would you say to them? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Thank you for sharing this personal story about your relationship with food and your body; how does it feel to talk about this here? You have been mistreated by people when they were making negative comments about what you were eating and your appearance. It's hard to not let these experiences get to you. Their comments were so hurtful and anyone would be impacted by them. What do you think? If you could rant at these people, what would you say to them? 

I would say to them to mind your own business, and thank you for "looking out" for me but you're only making things worse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
21 hours ago, mxhaxnaeem said:

I would say to them to mind your own business, and thank you for "looking out" for me but you're only making things worse

I think that when someone has done you wrong, it can really help to imagine what you'd say to them if you could be completely unfiltered and honest to their face if you don't have the opportunity anymore; it can be really therapeutic to actually scream and shout it out loud to get some of that energy out; what do you think? Also, do you have an opportunity to maybe tell them how you feel?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

I think that when someone has done you wrong, it can really help to imagine what you'd say to them if you could be completely unfiltered and honest to their face if you don't have the opportunity anymore; it can be really therapeutic to actually scream and shout it out loud to get some of that energy out; what do you think? Also, do you have an opportunity to maybe tell them how you feel?

honestly yeah I do because I still get comments about my body type. Either Im skinnier or too toned. People are so invested in what I eat its so annoying. Like the one situation I went to someone's house and they gave me a larger portion of food. I was like uh that's too much, and they were like well you kinda need it. Comments like these make me annoyed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
17 hours ago, mxhaxnaeem said:

honestly yeah I do because I still get comments about my body type. Either Im skinnier or too toned. People are so invested in what I eat its so annoying. Like the one situation I went to someone's house and they gave me a larger portion of food. I was like uh that's too much, and they were like well you kinda need it. Comments like these make me annoyed.

Yeah, that is frustrating to hear. I think that society would be a better place if people did not comment on the bodies of others at all; what do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Yeah, that is frustrating to hear. I think that society would be a better place if people did not comment on the bodies of others at all; what do you think? 

Yeah, I get some people want to help? I don't really know, still not a fan of that kinda commentary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
  • Solution
9 hours ago, mxhaxnaeem said:

Yeah, I get some people want to help? I don't really know, still not a fan of that kinda commentary

I'm wondering then, the next time someone makes a comment, could you politely tell them how it makes you feel and/or you'd rather they didn't?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Monsoon said:

I'm wondering then, the next time someone makes a comment, could you politely tell them how it makes you feel and/or you'd rather they didn't?

Yeah, it happens to me less but it still happens every now and then I just say I'm doing fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
    Search In
×
×
  • Create New...