My dad's sending mixed messages i don't know what to believe

lucas010804    

When there was a trans show on TV about trans people and their transitions on TV my parents watched it and my dad said that they shouldn't be doing that but then just now he said "Whoever you are i will love and accept you" So now i'm confused as to if he would accept me if i were to come out or weather he would react badly to it. Any ideas how I can figure out if he'd accept me or not?

Hey Lucas010804,

Thanks for coming to Community ? we are here to help you through this.

I'm sorry that you got mixed messages from your dad. It reminds me of coming out as gay. My dad said he doesn't agree with gay people, so this made me wonder for years if he would accept me or not. However, I realised that I was not being productive and was mentally torturing myself. The best decision I ever made was to come out to him and go from there. He is now very accepting of me and my partner.

The truth is, people often have mixed feelings about such issues, but with him saying he would still love and accept you, then I am more inclined to believe that he would accept you.

How do you feel about all of this?

Also, here is a good article for help with coming out for when you are ready:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/8-tips-for-coming-out-as-trans/

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sending positive vibes ?Monsoon J

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e