Social anxiety

Ez    

I get really bad social anxiety whenever I have to talk to people who don't live in my household, and sometimes even when I have to tell my parents something regarding my mental health or sexuality, which has led to me not telling them that I need to go talk to a professional, to try and get better at managing. I love being around my friends, but I end up overthinking to the point of making myself sick. I will go over conversations repeatedly for days before and after. I don't know how I can fix this, but I'm too scared of being judged or being a burden to tell anyone.

• Hug 1

Hi Ellie!

For starters welcome to the community! Its always nice to see new faces, im Gremlin!  I saw your topic when i logged on, it does look like your have some social incarcerates. Which is totally normal, I unfortunately dont have to much advice when it comes to social anxiety. How ever when your mentioned reaching out to your parents about  seeing a professional. I think right there is a great first step! Im not sure about how open your parents are with talking on mental health and sexuality. Sence everyone has options, but im sure if you talked about it to one of your close friends, school counselors, and the amazeing mentors here! They wil be happy to lissen and give you advice. Also one thing i thought could possibly help is being able to take breaks in conversation, looking and takeing deep breaths could possibly help. You shouldn't feel obligated to always keep the conversation going, it can eventually get really draining.  I hope all this was able to help even if was a little bit. Take care :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ellie!

As someone who also struggles with social anxiety, I completely understand how hard it can be to really talk to other people openly and easily, especially those that I don’t know. For starters: you are not a burden to any person in your life. I truely don’t believe that any person sees you as that, no matter who they are. Your mental health is so important and deserves to be prioritized. What may work for you is trying to dissociate this voice in your head that’s criticizing what you do as seperate from yourself: give it a name, personality, appearance, etc. It sounds weird in theory, but it really will help to dissociate yourself from this negative self talk and know that you don’t have to believe everything it’s telling you. I also recomend deep breathing, box breathing, etc as they all help to calm anxiety especially when you feel sick because of it. I love you and am here for you, I’m sending you so much virtual support through the screen🫶🫶🫶