This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate

Homophobic Classmates

vega    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate

Click this notice to reveal the content.

So today the principle came in because he heard that someone in my class because there was a comment. Or a threat. Someone said that they were going to run over people at the pride parade. But I know the chat with the principle won't help. The homophobic will be homophobic

21 hours ago, vega said:

So today the principle came in because he heard that someone in my class because there was a comment. Or a threat. Someone said that they were going to run over people at the pride parade. But I know the chat with the principle won't help. The homophobic will be homophobic

Hey Vega,

This sounds really serious How did the chat with the principle go? Also, the person who made the threat, do you think they were being serious?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

I think the principle did nothing. These chats just bring in more laughter. I almost feel like this person was serious. While I don't know who made this threat,but my class is very homophobic. Once a kid ripped up a pride flag, shoved it in a locker and said that that's what all gays should do.

22 hours ago, vega said:

I think the principle did nothing. These chats just bring in more laughter. I almost feel like this person was serious. While I don't know who made this threat,but my class is very homophobic. Once a kid ripped up a pride flag, shoved it in a locker and said that that's what all gays should do.

Hey there,

It sounds like some people at school can be really unsupportive of the community and quite threatening towards them; how does this make you feel?

Also, I'm wondering, could you check in with the principle to see what they are going to do? 

i could. This threat is making me even more certain that I shouldn't come out

21 hours ago, vega said:

i could. This threat is making me even more certain that I shouldn't come out

Yeah, it might be good just to see how they have followed up on the incident. Also, yeah, I completely get why you wouldn't want to come out in that environment. I don't know if this will help you to feel better or not, but remember, when people have those kinds of views, you aren't the problem and there is nothing wrong with you, it is their views that are the issue. What do you think? Also, although it can be difficult coming out in a tricky environment like this, it can often be the case that after some initial teasing, things die down and the individual who has come out tends to get left alone more, so maybe keep that in mind. 

On 6/18/2022 at 4:45 PM, Piper said:

@vega It probably won’t help, but just letting you know you’re not alone when it  comes to feeling uncomfortable or worried about homophobic classmates. My friend recently fell out with some people, and they have been horrible, making fun of when she has questioned her identity in the past, and generally making lots of people unhappy. Have you talked to friends or trusted people about how you feel with the homophobic classmates? Is there a particular trusted teacher you might be able to talk to about it? Stay strong, they are only doing it because they don’t understand x

Thanks, I might just try talking to my friends.

• Like 1