Coming out to extended family and family friends

bi bi bi Β  Β 

Hey everyone! So I've come out to my close friends and my mom, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to come out to other people? I have no problem with subtely dropping hints to my other friends and eventually coming out to them when the time is right. I am super lucky in that all of my friends and family are ok with LGBTQ+ people (I'm bi). My question is does anyone have advice for how to come out to people who are family friends, extended family, etc.Also, how do you come out to siblings?? I have a brother who's 2 years older than me and I know he'll be fine with me being bi, but I'm just not sure how. Another thing is that I have some family overseas whom I won't be seeing for a while and kind of want to come out to them but I have no idea how...

I just have some weird vision in my head that I have to stand up in front of my extended family or family friends at dinner or something like that and just say "I'm bi" or something and it's kinda the last thing I want to do.

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @bi bi biΒ Welcome to the community!πŸ‘‹πŸ»

I am Daisie a Community Warden here on the forums, I’ve just read your post and I will tag our Trained Mentors in so you know who they are and so they can reach out to you. 😊@MonsoonΒ & @BlondieΒ 

Β 

Β 

On 4/5/2022 at 4:52 AM, bi bi bi said:

Hey everyone! So I've come out to my close friends and my mom, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to come out to other people? I have no problem with subtely dropping hints to my other friends and eventually coming out to them when the time is right. I am super lucky in that all of my friends and family are ok with LGBTQ+ people (I'm bi). My question is does anyone have advice for how to come out to people who are family friends, extended family, etc.Also, how do you come out to siblings?? I have a brother who's 2 years older than me and I know he'll be fine with me being bi, but I'm just not sure how. Another thing is that I have some family overseas whom I won't be seeing for a while and kind of want to come out to them but I have no idea how...

I just have some weird vision in my head that I have to stand up in front of my extended family or family friends at dinner or something like that and just say "I'm bi" or something and it's kinda the last thing I want to do.

Hey there,

Thanks for asking this :)

There are plenty of ways you can come out; you can be subtle, or you can have quite a direct conversation. Doing it subtly might involve telling someone about a crush you have or who you're dating when they ask, but being more direct can mean starting a conversation about your sexuality specifically. What did you think? How have you come out to people so far?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 9:35 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Thanks for asking this :)

There are plenty of ways you can come out; you can be subtle, or you can have quite a direct conversation. Doing it subtly might involve telling someone about a crush you have or who you're dating when they ask, but being more direct can mean starting a conversation about your sexuality specifically. What did you think? How have you come out to people so far?

So far, I've told my friends over text and told my mom directly. How can I tell my dad specifically? And my brother? I'm not going to tell my older relatives and extended realtives until I start dating someone since their views are a bit old-fashioned and they may not understand what being bi means.

9 hours ago, bi bi bi said:

So far, I've told my friends over text and told my mom directly. How can I tell my dad specifically? And my brother? I'm not going to tell my older relatives and extended realtives until I start dating someone since their views are a bit old-fashioned and they may not understand what being bi means.

Hey there,

Are you wanting to tell them directly or drop hints? It depends on how you want to do it really. I know you've said about having no problem subtly dropping hints, so it might be that that's more comfortable for you?Β 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:06 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Are you wanting to tell them directly or drop hints? It depends on how you want to do it really. I know you've said about having no problem subtly dropping hints, so it might be that that's more comfortable for you?Β 

Yeah, that could work. Could you give me an example of how I could do that?

Hey there,

Β I'm wondering, could you potentially make a passing comment about finding someone attractive? What would that be like?Β 

15 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Β I'm wondering, could you potentially make a passing comment about finding someone attractive? What would that be like?Β 

That would probably work. Any other tips form anyone?

You could also maybe wear something pride related, like a badge, or have the pride flag on your phone background or even a phone case. What do you think?Β 

2 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

You could also maybe wear something pride related, like a badge, or have the pride flag on your phone background or even a phone case. What do you think?Β 

That's a good idea

I'm sure you'll be able to find loads of them online! Also, how are you feeling about everything at the moment? Would you like more support, or are you good for you?Β