WWYD?

NeeChee    

My parents are homophobic. And I think I'm not straight, although I still don't know if I'm into girls or both genders. I know that situations when they'll ask me about sexuality will come soon. But I'm not ready because I know they expect me to be straight, if I tell them I'm bisexual or lesbian, they probably wouldn't be happy about it. I would therefore like to ask if anyone has any experience with this, and if so, then if they can share it. It will help me a lot. Thank you >3

Edited by NeeChee

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @NeeChee welcome to the community 😊

I wondered if you would feel it’s beneficial to have a chat with one of our trained mentors? I’ll tag them in so they can reach out. @Monsoon & @Blondie I think it can be really helpful to talk things through? 

13 hours ago, NeeChee said:

My parents are homophobic. And I think I'm not straight, although I still don't know if I'm into girls or both genders. I know that situations when they'll ask me about sexuality will come soon. But I'm not ready because I know they expect me to be straight, if I tell them I'm bisexual or lesbian, they probably wouldn't be happy about it. I would therefore like to ask if anyone has any experience with this, and if so, then if they can share it. It will help me a lot. Thank you >3

Hey there,

Welcome :)

I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to the community users. I'm wondering, even though you said they probably wouldn't be happy about it, how do you think it will play out over time? Could it get better?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 4 weeks later...

i'm bisexual and have kind of(?) homophobic parents. i'm not really sure about their stances on the LGBTQ+ community now but they've said enough things in the past for me not to be comfortable with coming out to them. i think it really depends on what type of relationship you have with your parents. i don't plan on coming out to them, and i have gay friends that i depend on for trust and friendship so i can completely be myself around them. you could come out to them later when you're more independent and don't have to depend on them for financial security (if that's an issue you foresee if you come out to them). then again it's completely your choice. you might try talking to them about an imaginary friend who has come out to you and see how your parents respond.