Should I come out to my strict Muslim parents?

Izzy13    

I’ve known that I’m bisexual for a while now, but recently come to accept it for myself. My parents are extremely religious Muslims and they were raised to think that it is a sin to be homosexual. I have even heard my father say that bisexual people “like both, so they should just pick”. I don’t know if I should hide it from them, which would make me feel guilty for lying to them, or if I should tell them, which could potentially make them see me as not “normal”. What should I do?

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @Izzy13, I see you’re new to the community, so just wanted to send you a warm welcome.

I ready your post and just wondered if you would find it beneficial having a chat with one of our trained mentors? @Monsoon & @Blondie. I have tagged them in so they can reach out. 😊

9 hours ago, Izzy13 said:

I’ve known that I’m bisexual for a while now, but recently come to accept it for myself. My parents are extremely religious Muslims and they were raised to think that it is a sin to be homosexual. I have even heard my father say that bisexual people “like both, so they should just pick”. I don’t know if I should hide it from them, which would make me feel guilty for lying to them, or if I should tell them, which could potentially make them see me as not “normal”. What should I do?

Hey Izzy,

Welcome. I will reply on the confidential support option. Speak soon. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 4 weeks later...

i am also bisexual and i don't plan on coming out to my parents. i don't think they're that homophobic but at the same time i don't think they would react very well. i have just accepted that sometimes family can be found in other people (friends, etc). i think that feeling accepted by my friends has really made me feel more comfortable with not telling my parents. it's like i'm kind of putting different parts of my life in different boxes and accepting that sometimes not everyone will appreciate all parts of me. i have tried changing their views over the years (talking about gay friends, talking about the hardships gay people experience) and over time i think they have become more tolerant.