Too broke for hobbies?

Bubbletea Β  Β 
Go to solution Solved by Monsoon,

Well uh, this issue is a bit more complex than just being too broke but here we go I guess.Β 

I've been thinking for a while about everything I want to do as a hobby for my future goals and also what I promised others I would do.

These hobbies include: learning how to play the guitar and piano, dancing, singing and learning new languages such as Japanese and Thai.Β 

The thing is though, nobody in my family can teach me these things because they are either too old for it, and don't remember much, or they are too busy, therefore I need to find a tutor but before that I have also been thinking about if I can even afford it. My family isn't the richest and I am also not really old enough to get a part time job in my country yet and all I have is my pocket money. I really don't want to give up any of these hobbies since, as I have mentioned before they are either for futuristic purposes or I promised others I would do this as a hobby and I'm not the type of person to just ditch a promise, therefore I'm kinda stuck.Β  Also, I would feel rather guilty if one of these hobbies doesn't fit me right, because then it'd be a waste of money that I don't have much of, back then I had some different hobbies and left them because they simply didn't sit right with me, even though I tried for months on end to maybe get used to them, it simply was not my cup of tea. My parents got quite mad because they were the ones to pay for the lessons so now, I'm trying to be careful but I don't really know what I'm doing and am having a crisis. pls help

• Ditch the Label Staff
3 hours ago, Bubbletea said:

Well uh, this issue is a bit more complex than just being too broke but here we go I guess.Β 

I've been thinking for a while about everything I want to do as a hobby for my future goals and also what I promised others I would do.

These hobbies include: learning how to play the guitar and piano, dancing, singing and learning new languages such as Japanese and Thai.Β 

The thing is though, nobody in my family can teach me these things because they are either too old for it, and don't remember much, or they are too busy, therefore I need to find a tutor but before that I have also been thinking about if I can even afford it. My family isn't the richest and I am also not really old enough to get a part time job in my country yet and all I have is my pocket money. I really don't want to give up any of these hobbies since, as I have mentioned before they are either for futuristic purposes or I promised others I would do this as a hobby and I'm not the type of person to just ditch a promise, therefore I'm kinda stuck.Β  Also, I would feel rather guilty if one of these hobbies doesn't fit me right, because then it'd be a waste of money that I don't have much of, back then I had some different hobbies and left them because they simply didn't sit right with me, even though I tried for months on end to maybe get used to them, it simply was not my cup of tea. My parents got quite mad because they were the ones to pay for the lessons so now, I'm trying to be careful but I don't really know what I'm doing and am having a crisis. pls help

Hey @BubbleteaΒ Welcome to the community, I wondered if you may find it helpful to have a chat with one of our trained mentors? Sometimes talking through things can help. I’ll tag them in so you know who they are and they can drop a message. @MonsoonΒ & @Blondie

Β 

Β 

13 hours ago, Bubbletea said:

Hey @Bubbletea

Welcome to our community. Before I go ahead, I just want to check, are you alright? I saw what you said about having a crisis and I'm wondering if you can tell me more about that?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

3 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @Bubbletea

Welcome to our community. Before I go ahead, I just want to check, are you alright? I saw what you said about having a crisis and I'm wondering if you can tell me more about that?

Ah, I'm alright haha. The crisis is just the thing I was writing about and I just wrote that I had a crisis because my braincells couldn't really process this. I am completely fine, sorry for causing concern

• Solution

Hey there,

No need to apologise, I just wanted to double check, and I'm glad to hear you're fine :)

With the hobbies you want to take up,Β I'm wondering, could you try some of them out for free? I'm thinking, with singing andΒ languages, are there lessons on YouTube?

• Thanks 1

hiiii @Bubbletea

i actually felt really similar to you, and none of my family wanted to help so id do everything myself.

and i watched a youtube video that said you should explore as many things as possible. it's the best thing to do when we are young apparently!Β 

so you def doing the right things, and i actually agree with monsoon; it is worth finding all the free or cheaper) versions of learning before you ask your parents for proper lessons an stuff.

i wanted to learn a language so i watched a few youtube videos, downloaded duolingo and then bought a cheap ebook off amazon. it helped me start the language and habit, was pretty fun. I didn';t stick with it in the end but at least it only cost me some time and very little money

definitely reccomend you try that maybe??

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

No need to apologise, I just wanted to double check, and I'm glad to hear you're fine :)

With the hobbies you want to take up,Β I'm wondering, could you try some of them out for free? I'm thinking, with singing andΒ languages, are there lessons on YouTube?

First of all, I apologize for responding way too late, it was not a right thing to do.Β 

There are indeed lessons on YouTube and I already made much progress and I would consider this fellow issue of mine resolved.Β 

Mission accomplished! Thank you very much for the suggestion!

On 3/21/2022 at 5:42 PM, cloudzs said:

hiiii @Bubbletea

i actually felt really similar to you, and none of my family wanted to help so id do everything myself.

and i watched a youtube video that said you should explore as many things as possible. it's the best thing to do when we are young apparently!Β 

so you def doing the right things, and i actually agree with monsoon; it is worth finding all the free or cheaper) versions of learning before you ask your parents for proper lessons an stuff.

i wanted to learn a language so i watched a few youtube videos, downloaded duolingo and then bought a cheap ebook off amazon. it helped me start the language and habit, was pretty fun. I didn';t stick with it in the end but at least it only cost me some time and very little money

definitely reccomend you try that maybe??

I am very sorry for responding really late!

I thank you for the suggestion and would say that this issue is definitely resolved now lol.

Thanks!

Β 

1 hour ago, Bubbletea said:

First of all, I apologize for responding way too late, it was not a right thing to do.Β 

There are indeed lessons on YouTube and I already made much progress and I would consider this fellow issue of mine resolved.Β 

Mission accomplished! Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Hey,

No need to apologise! I'm glad to hear you issue is resolved. Would you like support with anything else for now, or are you good?

Just now, Monsoon said:

Hey,

No need to apologise! I'm glad to hear you issue is resolved. Would you like support with anything else for now, or are you good?

Hiya!

I think I am good for now. I do have a rather important meeting coming up though, so I am quite nervous but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I hope that you are well as well!Β 

Alright! Well if you ever do need more support, you know where we are. Take care and good luck with everything.Β 

1 minute ago, Monsoon said:

Alright! Well if you ever do need more support, you know where we are. Take care and good luck with everything.Β 

Thanks!