One of my classmates keeps arguing with me about my deadname

Emberfrost12    

So, there's a kid in all my classes, and he refers to me by my deadname,  and if I correct him, he's all 'that's the name on the class list' and 'that's your legal name, is it not' and I almost got into a fight with him. I don't know what to do about the situation anymore. Advice?

19 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

So, there's a kid in all my classes, and he refers to me by my deadname,  and if I correct him, he's all 'that's the name on the class list' and 'that's your legal name, is it not' and I almost got into a fight with him. I don't know what to do about the situation anymore. Advice?

Hey,

This sounds tough and must be quite upsetting; how are you feeling about it? I'm wondering, does your teacher know anything about this? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

This is really stressful, and one of my teachers seems to think that my name is a nickname, as it is essentially a shortened version of my deadname. In other classes, I don't interact with this classmate as much, so it never comes up

• Ditch the Label Staff
8 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

This is really stressful, and one of my teachers seems to think that my name is a nickname, as it is essentially a shortened version of my deadname. In other classes, I don't interact with this classmate as much, so it never comes up

Do you have someone like a head of year / welfare support that you can speak to within school? I feel like someone needs to take ownership of this from school's side and to make it clear to any teachers you have classes with so if any classmates (this kid or any others) do this, they pick them up on it and support you. Do you have anyone like that within school that you would trust to talk to about this?  

Staff-Account.png

Yes, but I'm worried that they won't do anything, because it happens quite infrequently

• Ditch the Label Staff
5 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

Yes, but I'm worried that they won't do anything, because it happens quite infrequently

No matter how often it happens - it shouldn't happen at all so you have every right to have your concerns listened to and to be treated with respect.

You could mention it happens infrequently but that you'd like it to completely stop.

How does that sound?

Staff-Account.png

15 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

I'll try that, and I'll tell you how it goes

Hey. If you want, you can let us know how it goes. I’m sure they’ll be able to sort it for you though! 

There’s another person in my class who’s been using racist, sexist and homophobic slurs, so I think that he’s going to be my priority to report to a teacher. (I still haven’t reported either of them) I’m going to try to do that today though. 

Whelp, I told one of my teachers about the racist kid. We’ll have to see if anything actually changes. 

1 hour ago, Emberfrost12 said:

Whelp, I told one of my teachers about the racist kid. We’ll have to see if anything actually changes. 

Hey there,

I'm glad you reported them. Did they say what they were going to do? 

16 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

They said that they'd 'Talk to him'

Hey,

Okay, well that's good news. Maybe you can check in with the member of staff in a few days to see how it went? What do you think?