Did I come out wrong?

notkelly Β  Β 

so i just came out as bi to my mom. i (24f) am engaged to a 23 year old male, who i already came out to. my family has always been very accepting of anything and my moms best friend is an open lesbian. my brother, sister-in-law, and fiance wer all at my moms today and everyone in the room knew i was bi except my mom. I had tried to come out to her several times before but i always get too scared and back out. my sister-in-law made a comment about a new character being bisexual in a show and i got a little spurt of confidence and said β€œhey mom did u know im bisexual?” And she thought it was a joke, which i totally get cuz i was giggling and stuff but we all kept saying β€œno, really!” We eventually let it slide and went home a while later. I then texted her and said β€œhey, i really am bisexual by the way. Not a joke:)” and she didnt believe me at first. Asked how i knew since i have never had sexual experience with a woman. Then called me. I told her ive known for a while and just thought that would be a casual opportunity to come out, as i didnt want to make it a huge deal since it doesnt change anything. She said i needed to take it more seriously and that i shouldnt have come out like that. I 100% regret it now but am i wrong for coming out that way? I truly thought she would just say β€œoh really? Awesome!” like my fiance, friends, and brother did. Any advice on how to go forward from here would be appreciated. Currently cant stop crying:/

Hey @notkelly

Welcome and thank you for opening up to us here. How are you feeling now? I noticed that some time has passed since you made this comment. I'm sorry to hear that you're upset at the moment, but I can totally understand your reaction. From what you've said, I think that you handled coming out really well, and I'm curious to know, did your mother say how you should have gone about it?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hey @notkelly

Yeah, I can imagine that this was a hurtful thing for you to hear. What do you think about how she would have preferred you to come out? How did that land with you?Β 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e