Coming Out

Shapeep    

I'm pansexual, and I'm in a relationship with a transgender guy, but my parents have no idea about either of those things. They're very religious and super homophobic, and everytime they make gay joke, or talk about how I should stay away from 'those people', I feel so angry. I do want to come out, but I'm not sure how. I'm going on a band trip in March for a week, and I'm planning on telling them right before the trip so they have some time to settle down, but I'm not sure how to tell them.

Hey there,

Thanks for asking us for help with this. How are you feeling about it all? It sounds like you’re carrying some stress right now, so I just thought I would check and see how you’re getting on. I always advise people in your situation to make sure that it’s safe to come out, so, I’m wondering, would you feel safe doing it? If there’s a chance of danger, like being abused, kicked out, or even sent to a conversion camp, then it’s best to wait until you can guarantee your safety. What do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

I don't feel like they would do any of those above things, but they might take me out of school, because for a long time, they've thought that the school has too many people with 'gender or sexuality confusion'.  That's a big reason why I don't want to tell them. I also do feel like they would do things like not allow me to see my friends, as most of my friends are LGBTQ+. 

Right now, I just feel very angry all the time, and there are some times I wish that I had different parents.

Hey there,

From what you've said, I totally understand your feeling of being angry all the time which is a completely normal reaction in this kind of situation. I'm wondering, do you think that over time, they could change the way they feel about LGBTQ+? There are plenty of parents out there that change their minds once their child comes out. The love a parent has for their child is so strong, and it is really powerful in helping people to open up their minds and become more accepting. What do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e