Getting to know "you" (oneself)

carolindwelt    

Well I think getting to know oneself has to be narrowed down from a contrast perspective of how another individual,community views you and how you view yourself. Because many are times we find ourselves in crossroads  of personal discovery . You really can't navigate what is and what is not about yourself. So my question is,how do we reach to the point whereby we navigate our identity away from stereotypes ? and knowing the difference?

Hey,

This is a really interesting comment. I think that it can be hard to carve our an identity for ourselves that doesn't conform to a stereotype. We all have a need to fit in, and when we are 'outside of the box', it can be quite nerve-wracking to travel down this path. Can I ask, are you asking these questions for yourself, or are they more general musings? I'd love to hear more about your identity journey if you feel comfortable sharing. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Thanks for your feedback. To your question,, i would say its a bit of both, mostly  in consideration of my own journey of getting to know myself in the such of identity. The journey at the beginning was rounded by what i felt the society conquered with, like I wanted to ensure that am not entirely a black ship in the midst...what you said is the need to fit in. With time due to more enlightenment through various means I got to embrace my identity and the journey that is ahead to discover more and more about myself. I just felt that there is need to accept who I  am today so that even when things change as time goes by, I will not feel any less appreciative of myself. Getting to know how other people feel about the identity thing  its a plus.

Hello there,

So, at the beginning, your journey was rounded by society, but then as time went on, you embraced your identity. I'm wondering, how did you come to a place where you were able to accept your identity? Did you do this independently of stereotypes? What helped you? 

Hey,

Well, the journey itself was not easy, actually It has been one of the toughest seasons of my life. I found myself having to cut out alot of people out of my life reason being I needed to identify myself as an individual and also in reality I realised that I did not have genuine friends. What led to that conclusion was I, taking time to reflect on  how I had grown as an individual from this friendships. Sadly I could not draft anything on that account. What i managed to write down was how I had made silly decisions with the help of this friends and how I have always been the one going to the rescue and not having my own heroic friends. Its only natural for friends to help friends, I hope you understand my sentiments. 

So yes, discovering and embracing my true Identity was done in the absentia of stereotype and since i am a born again Christian I felt the Lord drawing me to a new phase of reaffirming me of my true identity that  is found in Him. I got to discover myself in a way I did not know.  I realised that I had never really loved and appreciated myself.  Am still a working progress, always reminding myself my worth and believing that I deserve the best out of life.

I thought I loved cats,,,to my surprise I don't! 😮 how crazy is that. All my friends thought I did. 

Hey @carolindwelt

Yeah, it does sound like you went through a tough season on this journey of self-discovery, but it also seems like you did what you had to do in order to serve yourself in the best way possible. How are you feeling now about the friendships that you have in your lie? Also, do you have any tips for people who are struggling to explore their identity and are conforming to the stereotypes that exist in society? 

• 2 weeks later...