how to stop my parents seeing my ig feed?

cloudzs    
Go to solution Solved by Randomgirl.,

my parents like to see what i look at on my phone, sometimes i feel they do it because they want to be involved in my life but it feels like an invasion of my privacy and personal space, does anyone else's parents do this?

i can imagine it could be risky for those who are not out to their family or have weird interests that older people dont get...

• Solution
Harper
This post was recognized by Harper!

"Thanks for giving really great advice!"

Randomgirl. was awarded the badge 'Act of Kindness' and 5 points.

4 hours ago, cloudzs said:

my parents like to see what i look at on my phone, sometimes i feel they do it because they want to be involved in my life but it feels like an invasion of my privacy and personal space, does anyone else's parents do this?

i can imagine it could be risky for those who are not out to their family or have weird interests that older people dont get...

My parents used to do this too. They’ve laid off a lot though in the last year so it’s ok. But god only knows how bad it would be if they decided to check it now. Not that I have anything I shouldn’t have on my phone, but a lot of it is personal, especially my tiktok liked vids, Instagram feed and that stuff. My mother wouldn’t understand most of it anyway. But exactly like you said, I haven’t come out to anyone yet, and It would be a serious give away for anyone to go through my phone😭 I even get kind of worried when I’m with friends and we’re looking at something on my phone in case they would see something.  But in your case, it depends how understanding your parents are. If you were to politely explain that there’s nothing there they need to see and that it’s personal would they respect that?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ditch the Label Staff
On 9/16/2021 at 9:36 PM, Randomgirl. said:

My parents used to do this too. They’ve laid off a lot though in the last year so it’s ok. But god only knows how bad it would be if they decided to check it now. Not that I have anything I shouldn’t have on my phone, but a lot of it is personal, especially my tiktok liked vids, Instagram feed and that stuff. My mother wouldn’t understand most of it anyway. But exactly like you said, I haven’t come out to anyone yet, and It would be a serious give away for anyone to go through my phone😭 I even get kind of worried when I’m with friends and we’re looking at something on my phone in case they would see something.  But in your case, it depends how understanding your parents are. If you were to politely explain that there’s nothing there they need to see and that it’s personal would they respect that?

This is really great advice @Randomgirl.. You have every right to privacy - it might be interesting to understand why your parents want to keep an eye on your feed, perhaps it's not to invade your privacy but just to check that you are safe? It might be a good conversation to have with them and if it is about safety, maybe regular chats and checkins with you could be a better way of doing it, for example. You are definitely entitled to privacy and safe spaces and it's perfectly normal to want that boundary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Staff-Account.png