This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Death

How to overcome depression

Melody K    

I have been suffering from depression after recovering from covid. I need help on how to overcome it. I have been feeling So hopeless. I don't feel like myself anymore, everything feels So invisible around me. I'm terrified at night, I can't sleep. Everything seem to irritate me, I feel like I'm in a whole new different world. I don't like school anymore. What should I do? Please help?

On 7/31/2021 at 2:48 PM, Melody K said:

I have been suffering from depression after recovering from covid. I need help on how to overcome it. I have been feeling So hopeless. I don't feel like myself anymore, everything feels So invisible around me. I'm terrified at night, I can't sleep. Everything seem to irritate me, I feel like I'm in a whole new different world. I don't like school anymore. What should I do? Please help?

Hey @Melody K

Welcome to our community. It sounds like you've been going through quite a dark time recently, but I'm glad that you've opened up to us as we can help you through this. I noticed your comment about how you tend to think about death, and I just want to check in and see if you are feeling suicidal or not? It's okay to say if you are because we will then be able to give you some advice to help you move forward. I hope to hear back from you soon. Stay safe and take care. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Death

Click this notice to reveal the content.

No I haven't been suicidal, but I just tend to feel like everyday is my last day to live,  or I'm about to die. I feel So hopeless, and all this bad thoughts are driving me crazy. Even how hard I try to be positive, the bad thoughts are coming back, causing me to have anxiety and to panic. Being at home feels like a nightmare, all I do is sleep all day to ascape from reality.

Hello @Melody K

That sounds really tough - it shows how strong you are to be dealing with this so well. I think that most people would be so overwhelmed and not willing to ask others for help, so I think you're doing really well. Just to check, so is it more of a fear of dying rather than actually thinking of taking your life? Sorry, I know that I'm asking a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure that you're safe before we talk more. Speak soon.

Yes, it's more of fear of dying. I've lost loved one's due to covid, and when I got it, it really did Shake my heart. Even though I'm covid Free now, the anxiety is still kicking in, and I tend to panic a lot. Imagine waking up, and thinking like "what if this is my last day". that's the thought I literally wake up with everyday, and it controls my whole da literally.

Hey @Melody K

Yeah, I totally get why you are feeling this way after having such a difficult time throughout the pandemic, especially as you lost loved ones. It's completely normal for the anxiety to stay lingering for a while, but it's good that you're being open about it and asking for help. Can I ask, what things tend to help reduce your anxiety and panic? If you like, I can also share some tips with you to help with this? 

Being around my friends truly helps me a lot, I get carried away and have fun and I tend not to think too much. Or just when I'm away from home. When I'm at home I get anxious, and think alot. Mind you, this is literally the place where I have been when I was battling covid, and when I recovered my depression started right after. I think I need a new environment until I get myself back together again. Or what do you suggest?

Edited by Melody K

Hey @Melody K

I think that they are all great ideas, especially the one about being in a new environment if you can. Could you potentially have a little trip away? I think it would be good to get some space from where everything happened, and yeah, hanging out with your friends would be good too. When we go through a tricky time like this, it can be easy to forget what it's like to be happy and have a good time, so doing all of those things will be good for you. I'm wondering, have you spoken to your doctor about maybe getting some help for the depression? If so, how did it go? 

Yes, I have spoken to my doctor. He referred me to a psychiatrist. I went to see a psychiatrist today, he prescribed some medications, and had a sit-down with him. He figured out that I'm experiencing almost every symptom of depression. 

Hey Melody,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to see a professional today. How did it feel to hear that from the psychiatrist? Also, did they recommend any therapy for you? 

Hey Melody,

I'm glad that it felt good expressing yourself and opening up. I hope that you find the medication helpful and I'm wondering, do you think there's anything else you could try out to help you through this as well? I ask because we sometimes know other things that will help us move through a hard time. Speak soon.