Someone is threatening to leak my nude video

TGM7    

hello I am a 23 year old male and was just a victim of an online scam message. the 'girl' hacked into my Instagram account and stole a nude video i had on my phone. the people behind the fake account have taken screenshots of my friends and family from my instagram and are threatening to post it to them if i dont send money. i dont know what to do and i cant call the police because they are from another country. i am lost and i feel horrid

Hello @Kalliste

Thank you for opening up to us about this. I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice to our members. I'm sorry to hear that you have been hacked and blackmailed over this. I can completely understand why you feel lost and horrid, but I just want you to know that we have lots of experience in helping people in your kind of situation. Although the person is from another country, you can still contact the police about this. It is a crime to threaten to post a nude image online, and they will be able to give you the best advice for your situation. What do you think? I know it might not seem like it now, but you're doing the right thing to sort this situation out, so try to take some comfort in that. We will be able to help you get this sorted. Speak soon. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

9 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hello @Kalliste

Thank you for opening up to us about this. I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice to our members. I'm sorry to hear that you have been hacked and blackmailed over this. I can completely understand why you feel lost and horrid, but I just want you to know that we have lots of experience in helping people in your kind of situation. Although the person is from another country, you can still contact the police about this. It is a crime to threaten to post a nude image online, and they will be able to give you the best advice for your situation. What do you think? I know it might not seem like it now, but you're doing the right thing to sort this situation out, so try to take some comfort in that. We will be able to help you get this sorted. Speak soon. 

Thank you so much for responding. I have blocked the individual on as many accounts as I could and have privated all of the social media accounts. I have send a report to the ic3 FBI and the FTC fraud department. I’m not sure if there is anything else I can do…and it feels like I am just waiting for my video to be exposed. I guess I’ll just have to wait and take it in stride. I have not told my family this but I have told one close friend. I know my family will be understanding about it but atm it’s too much for me…again thanks for replying but it’s hard not to blame myself for this big mistake. I’m not even a sexual person and the one video I had had ever taken has now been taken from me and my privacy is dashed 

Hey @Kalliste

I'm glad to hear that you have blocked them and reported it. When will you hear back? Also, can I ask, how long has it been since they threatened to leak the video? I find that if someone is serious about leaking it, then they usually do it straight away. The more time that passes, generally, the less likely it is that they will leak it. I totally get what you're saying about how it's hard to not blame yourself, but you had no control over it. How are you doing now? I hope you're feeling a little bit better. We are here for you if you want to talk. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e