I need some help coming out......

HeyImKiki    

Hey I'm Kiki I'm 11 and I'm bi. But you see, my whole family are all members of a Christian church and are very straight. They even like to make jokes about people who have a different sexuality than straight. I've tried talking to my mom about people who who bi, and she just says things like, "Oh they are bad",  or " Oh we are better than them".😭😭 It really hurts me and I don't know how to come out to them! I've set a goal to tell them before pride month ends.  A little help, please???😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

I don’t know if I’m the best person to give you advice on this since I’m in the exact same situation rn… but I can tell you what I’ve learned from other people about coming out to homo/biphobic parents. Do you have any close friends or adults that you know are accepting of the lgbtq+ community? If you do, I’d recommend coming out to them first. Then, if they’re accepting, you can have someone to go to for emotional support if your parents don’t react well. If you want, you can even have them there with you when you come out to your parents in case they react badly.  You should also be prepared for questions like “how do you know?” or “Are you sure?”. Since they’re Christians, they’ll probably be very upset since they view bisexuality as a sin. BUT, did you know that the word that was incorrectly translated to homosexuality in the Bible actually translates to pedophilia? Those are two totally different things! I’m a Christian and I personally don’t believe God has a problem with the lgbtq+ community. After all, he made us this way, didn’t he? He made you exactly the way he meant for you to be. I hope this helps, sorry for the super long post 😅 good luck! I’m rooting for you!❤️

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HeyImKiki said:

Hey I'm Kiki I'm 11 and I'm bi. But you see, my whole family are all members of a Christian church and are very straight. They even like to make jokes about people who have a different sexuality than straight. I've tried talking to my mom about people who who bi, and she just says things like, "Oh they are bad",  or " Oh we are better than them".😭😭 It really hurts me and I don't know how to come out to them! I've set a goal to tell them before pride month ends.  A little help, please???😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

Hello @HeyImKiki

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. I'm one of the support mentors here and I give advice to those who reach out to us. I'm sorry to hear that your family make those kinds of jokes and your mom's comments about bi people. I can imagine that this must be quite hurtful for you. How are you feeling about all of this?

I think that with coming out, it's important to make sure that you feel ready and safe. Can I ask, do you feel ready to come out? If not, then it's totally okay to wait. Also, is there a chance that coming out could put you in danger, like getting kicked out or being abused? If so, it's best to wait until you can live away from them and know that you're safe. Let me know what you think. We are here for you, Kiki. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

9 hours ago, NicholeAlaxanderaParsons said:

i feel the same way. my family is the exact same. I'm a non binary pansexual. when my mom found out she took my phone and blamed it on "this bad generation"

Hey Nichole,

I'm sorry to hear that your mom responded in this way. How are things now? I hope you're okay. We are here for you if you want to talk. 

8 hours ago, Asher said:

I don’t know if I’m the best person to give you advice on this since I’m in the exact same situation rn… but I can tell you what I’ve learned from other people about coming out to homo/biphobic parents. Do you have any close friends or adults that you know are accepting of the lgbtq+ community? If you do, I’d recommend coming out to them first. Then, if they’re accepting, you can have someone to go to for emotional support if your parents don’t react well. If you want, you can even have them there with you when you come out to your parents in case they react badly.  You should also be prepared for questions like “how do you know?” or “Are you sure?”. Since they’re Christians, they’ll probably be very upset since they view bisexuality as a sin. BUT, did you know that the word that was incorrectly translated to homosexuality in the Bible actually translates to pedophilia? Those are two totally different things! I’m a Christian and I personally don’t believe God has a problem with the lgbtq+ community. After all, he made us this way, didn’t he? He made you exactly the way he meant for you to be. I hope this helps, sorry for the super long post 😅 good luck! I’m rooting for you!❤️

Amazing advice :)