I don't feel so good being Indian

attackontaetanss    

I'm going to be very blunt here. I'm Indian, and I don't really like it.

I've got very stereotypical opinion-ed parents, who think I should wear modest clothing and all that stuff. I'm okay with that, but lately they've been telling me to wear traditional clothing in public and I don't like that. I've told them loads of times that I don't want to wear those kinds of clothes, but for nothing.

How can I tell them I want to wear what I like, without pissing them off? 

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @taeuccci and welcome! It can take a long time (and work!) to be really comfortable with ourselves and all the different things that make us who we are. I imagine that trying to balance your cultural identity with your own sense of self can be challenging. Although it's completely normal to feel this way, a lot of people going through this eventually find a good mix of being able to express yourself which really reflects who you are, with celebrating your culture and all the richness, beauty and diversity that comes with that part of your life. This also ties in with your introduction on feelings of being ugly.  

Do you think there's a reason why your parents have recently been asking this of you?      

Staff-Account.png

Well, recently I have been going through puberty and stuff, so I think that plays a role in them asking me to do this. From their point of view, puberty is a big change where we should start acting more mature. I agree with that, but it gets a bit much and suffocating at times. 

Hey @taeuccci

Yeah, I can totally see why it would be suffocating. When we want to do one thing and people close to us are telling us to do the exact opposite, it can be quite tough on us. I think that there is something powerful in just being able to do what you like and trying to not pay much attention to the requests and judgements of others. Do you know what I mean? 

I guess that they already know what you like to wear. Do you reckon it might be a case of just doing it more and letting them get used to it? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Love it :). They will get used to it sooner or later, and you'll feel better for it! 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 1 month later...