How is it being back at school?

Monsoon    

Hey everyone,

I'm Monsoon and I'm one of the digital support mentors here at Ditch the Label :cool:

I just wanted to check in with you guys and see how it's been being back at school? In the UK, the last time most people went to school was March! It's completely normal to feel weird about going back, so yeah, let me know how you've been getting on :)

- Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I totally am new to this community so I don't really know how this works but going back to school? I live in Belgium so from March till August we didn't have schoollessons in class but like at home. I feel like that period of time was a time to think about thing and it was kind of a fase. I learned many things and taught myself a lot of things. I can't really describe my mental state at that moment. I guess it has changed a lot and I' m trying to get to know myself better. So I would say it was like a character development. My feelings are still confused about those months that passed. March was a big thing in my life. That' s where all the questioning started. About how I felt, who I was, my sexuality... I guess I saw that living is hard and that the society always had normalized perfectionism. Those ideals and labels and stuff. It screwed up my brain and it made me think of who I really was. Going back to school in Semptember was a very odd thing. I didn't know how to act. Before this lockdown I tried to be this person that is good at everything and wants to be perfect. In the lockdown I tried to grow out of that fase, but once I came back to school it was like nothing really happened. With studying everything got worse. I always had the best grades in my family, because I study very hard. It is really hard to keep that same energy. I don't want to quit. Gosh it's really hard. I just had an examperiod. Today was the last day. I don't really know what to expect. I still don't know who I am and who I want to become. I ask myself soooooo many questions about life and I get anxious about it. I found also that I have anxiety. I have that inner chest pain that I experience for I think 2 months. Sometimes I can't breath and I try everything. I try to get better, to motivate myself but... Yeah. This is difficult. I think I never answered this detailed. Something I also have been struggling with is that I can't cry. I feel like this is because I've always kept everything to myself.

Hey @Coochiedestroyer

Welcome to our support community and thanks for opening up to us. My name is Monsoon and I'm one of the digital support mentors here at Ditch the Label. I am here to help out our members by giving them advice and just being someone for them to talk to :)

It's good that you've recognised that you have anxiety and have been trying to help yourself. I'm wondering, what kind of things did you try? We do have some support guides for anxiety that I can show to you if you like? With anxiety, it can often make it hard for us to feel like we are doing well at anything, especially when it comes to exams and things like that.

Also, it does sound like you've been having a tough time recently, but just know that what you're going through is completely normal. It can be quite nerve-wracking when we feel like we don't know who we are and who/what we want to become. It's completely typical to be asking yourself so many questions at this point. I'm wondering, what do you think might be able to help you feel calmer about all of this?

Hi

So I have tried a couple of things. This may sound weird, but I tried to talk to myself and remembered myself all the great things I did and will be doing. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I also ask motivation to my sister, wich I never thought I could. To stay calm I listen to music. Music is like getting out of this world.

Sometimes all of this can help, but I have difficulties keeping the same energy after doing it. When I'm in public I can get very anxious and then I'm trying to get away, that really does help. I'm hoping that I will learn to control it.

But sometimes I don't know how.

Hey

It's great to hear about all of the things that you do to help yourself. I definitely think that you will learn over time how to manage your anxiety, but this may take a while and it's important to go easy on yourself. You are doing the best you can right now. I am wondering, would you like me to share some useful tips with you for managing anxiety? I know about quite a few that many people have found helpful :)

Hi!

I'm so sorry. I didn't saw this message, but yes any tips will be useful.

Thanks for your help.

I don't really have someone I can tell those things to without being laughed at.

Once again thank you.

Hey @Coochiedestroyer

Here are some support guides you might find useful. Why don't you take a look and let me know what you think? :)

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/5-things-your-body-does-when-you-have-anxiety/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/how-to-meditate/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/9-practical-things-can-keep-track-mental-health/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/improve-mental-health/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/10-quick-things-panic-attack/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/101-ultimate-ways-chill-reduce-stress/

Also, you can talk to us and we won't laugh. We respect what you're going through and we are here for you 100%.

Thanks!

I've downloaded these tips and am defenitely going to use them when I need to.

I will try to help myself with what you and this community taught me.

This vacation will be about myself and my mental health.

I also got my results back of my exams and was SHOCKED.

It wasn't that bad after all. I maybe didn't have the grades i could have, but I stay positive about it.

Hey @Coochiedestroyer

I'm glad to hear that your exam results weren't that bad after all - it sounds like you surprised yourself, so well done :). Let us know how things go with trying out the tips. Remember, we are always here for you.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey!

So I'm trying to work on my anxiety and I did print that 'your year in pixels' thingy. It s handy to like see how my days went , so Thank You!

I also have a question.

Is this always the same person? Like do you answer to everyone alone?