LIFE AFTER UNI - NOT HOW I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE

22cloudsbelowheaven    

Hi everyone! Hopefully I can get some answers in here or at least somebody to relate to and gain some courage to go on with my life.So here's my situation: I graduated from uni last year and moved back in my hometown, living again with my parents. I found a job just to have something to occupy myself with until I figure out what I want to do with my life. I had 2 friends left from high school which are now away for studies and stuff so when I came back I had no one. I went out a couple of times with my collegues but nothing serious, they had their own friends/families to prioritize. It's been a year and still I have no friends although I tried to get into contact with people. I feel so lonely and depressed all the time and now that it's summer, social media is buzzing with people going on holidays, parties,etc. and I have literally nobody to do anything. Is this ever going to change or I just have to accept that people will never want to hang out with me? :(

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us for support - we are here for you :)

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a tough time recently. We have all struggled with loneliness at one point, and it's such a difficult feeling to shake off. I think that your feelings are normal given your situation. I have felt this way too, especially when I moved to a new city after graduating. I would feel rubbish after seeing all of the posts on social media. Why don't you take some time away from social media? It sounds like it's not doing you any favours.

I wonder, could you maybe reach out to your friends from work and ask them to hang out? At the beginning of relationships, people can be quite shy and often wait for the other person to make the first move... you might have to be the person to make the move! Have a look at these articles and let me know what you think:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/7-tips...ng-loneliness/

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/feeling-lonely-during-lockdown-read-this/ - this article is really good

Could you possibly arrange to video call with your old friends who are away for studies? I'm sure this would help to tackle your loneliness! One really important point is to try and embrace the 'me' time. I know that this feeling of loneliness is getting to you, but if you look at it differently, you will definitely start making friends, and you might not have this much time to yourself ever again. Try to use this time to work on yourself or do the things that you enjoy. I think a bit of self care could go a long way for you right now. What things do you do to help yourself relax? You might find this support guide useful: https://www.ditchthelabel.org/25-ways-practice-self-care/

Above all of this, have faith in that this will get better for you. There are so many things you can do which I've pointed you in the direction of. I think that the only way is up for you now. Hope to hear back from you soon!

-Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e