Fight with my mom

Mammu    

So, I had a fight with my mom. It all started because I reached out to the school psychiatrist to ask her for some teen psychologist´s names and contacts. I want to do mom a favor because she is a teacher and has to work a lot so I didn´t want to bother her with the subject. Now I showed her the contacts the psychiatrist sent me and she got mad at me for not telling her. She started to accuse me of not understanding stuff and first talking with dad and then her (I only told dad, that I was gonna write to the psychiatrist). Then I started crying and I was trying SO hard to open up to her, but her yelling and being so negative to me all the time made it so difficult to do so. She made near impossible. I told her (through my tears), that I was having some mental problems, that I´d like to talk with someone neutral, that are not connected to us. Then she started to tell me stuff about when she was younger and how bad her life was and started to accuse me of only acting on my emotions and not understanding stuff correctly. To sum it up, I tried to open up to her about me being bi and about my mental problems and all the stuff that´s going on with my life but she made it so hard. What should I do about it and how to patch our relationship back together? I love her a lot but she makes it so hard sometimes...

Edited by Mammu

Hey,

Thanks for coming to us. We are here for you :). I think it sounds like your mom might be upset that you didn't tell her first. She might feel like you don't trust her, but I get your reasons for not wanting to tell her. Also, it must be hard for parents to hear their child is struggling with their mental health. I think she may have been so emotional just because she cares about you so much.

I wonder, has it calmed down a bit now? She might just need some time to come to terms with what you've said before she starts being calmer about it. If not, how about you speak to her with another adult in the room? The other adult could be there to make sure everyone remains calm and respectful :)

How does this sound? Also, I don't know if you've seen this, but here's a support guide for coming out to parents:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/top-11-tips-for-coming-out-as-lesbian-gay-or-bi/

Speak soon. - Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hey! Thanks for that advice. She has calmed down and we luckily get along pretty well today. I think that you were right and that she was just shocked but since I´m not a mind reader I obviously can´t know that. Maybe she´s doing the same thing I am and just avoiding the subject? We are about to go to the store now and it seems like everything is cool, so I think that mine and mom´s emotions just overreacted a bit. Still, thank you for the advice!

Hey. I'm glad to hear things are going better now and that she seems calmer. When you think the moment is right and that she is in a good mood and calm, maybe you could bring it up again if you want to talk more? People just need time with this kind of thing :)

- Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e