can someone please respond? i really dont want something to happen to soon

maistern    

our parents set very high expectations for us but my brother is handling it worse than i usually would...he no longer has the need to live his life. Im worried about what could happen. He wants to kill himself so our parents could feel the grief, the pain, the sorrow, the list could go on. I know confronting my parents about it wouldnt really work because they dont seem to care much about mental health. what do i do? how can i possibly help him? i really dont want to see another person in my family die.

Edited by maistern

Hey Maistern,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through a rough time. I know it’s hard for you right now because you feel partly responsible to help your brother and if something bad does happen you would feel like you didn’t do as much a you could have. I have never personally been in this situation before so I’m not sure exactly how you feel, but you and your brother should just know that your parents only want the best for you. They are hard on you I can imagine but they are only looking out for you and trying to help you reach your full potential. It’s hard to sometimes live up to all your parents expectations but you have to pick and choose. Whatever you do though, know your parents love you and only what the best for you. Maybe you should remind your brother about that and have a chat with your parents. Maybe you guys can come up with a compromise. Feel free to come back to this site. All of us here are going through something too and we’re here to support each other through it all. We’ve got you. Best of luck to you.

Amanda

Hello Maistern,

Thanks for bravely sharing this here. I know it's hard but I think you need to tell your parents exactly how your brother is feeling and make them aware of the gravity of the situation. I'd then like you give him these numbers to call so that he can speak to someone about his options. Just let him know that it is okay to feel like this but that he does not have to act on his feelings and feelings can and willl change.

This is the number for him to call - https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

You cannot be a support network of one so try and contact his friends and get everyone involved in looking out for him during this time - the more people you have around you the better.

We're here for you.

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been in this situation before. I felt like my parents always were pushing me to always do everything perfect which completely ruins you if you keep going with the thought of everything has to be perfect. I wish I didn’t have to figure it out on my own and I wish someone would’ve told me what I now know. I wish someone would’ve told me that all those feelings are normal and that we need to lean on friends and people we trust and talk about it just talk about with friends.