Feeling Pointless

Alicorn    

Two months ago, I fully came out as gay to all the important people in my life (friends and imediate family members). I was good for a while, I felt high in a way off of my new freedom to be myself. But in the past couple weeks, I've started feeling like my life is pointless. I'm not doing anything to make a mark on the world and I don't feel like I have a purpose on Earth. I am not thinking of harming myself or suiside, but I just feel as though I am floating through my days without doing anything worth noting. I would really just like someone to talk to.

~Alicorn

Hello Alicorn,

Congratulations on coming out if I haven't said it before.

We are here for you whenever you need to chat.

Your life has so much meaning and reason but we are only human, we cannot be constantly 'leaving our mark' on this world, that would be exhausting wouldn't it? And the fact that you have come out and shared it on this platform has probably inspired so many young people that read the posts on our community and give them courage to do so.

A lot of us seek for 'the meaning of life' - i've definitely lost sleep over worrying about why i'm on this earth so your thoughts are very normal.. Some days you will have an answer to that question, and other days you won't. You have just experienced something really intense and it's likely that you are still in the afterglow of that experience so give yourself a break and a past on the back and a bit of time to just 'be' without having to 'be' anything for anyone else.

Could you look into volunteering for an LGBT society over the summer or just simply getting to know some of the quieter people at school or college who look like they could use a friend. It doesn't have to be much but spreading a little more kindness in this world may make you feel like you feel a bit more like you have a stronger role in your own narrative.

Also try some guided meditations on youtube that might make you feel a lot more grounded too.

I really hope some of this advice helps and congratulations again.

Remi

U

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Thank you for this support. Once I start school again in the fall, I will definitely look into LGBTQ+ groups where I could do some good. The only struggle with that is my parents. They have said they accept me, but they aren't thrilled with my sexuality or any topic of sexuality or gender identity. I am in high school still living with my parents, so any volunteering would have to be approved by my parents. Any conversation about the LGBTQ+ community is really awkward with my parents and I end up regretting bringing it up. But I will find something where I can feel like I'm making a difference.

Thank you again, this site has really helped me.

~Alicorn

Hey @Alicorn

Well, maybe you could start having the conversation now so that you have discussed and done some prep work before schools starts back again. I know that it's not ideal that they don't love your sexuality and I had a similar thing with my parents when I came out that they 'tolerated' my partner. But it is your life and not your families life so try and live for yourself and know that you are not alone in all of this,

I hope it goes well if you do chat to your parents.

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.