Explaining Anxiety

katerbug01    

I have had social anxiety for 6 years now and it tends to get in the way of everything everyone else wants me to do. For example my grandparents from another state wants me to come and stay a few days with them. But it makes me so anxious to go that far away from home. I want to be able to explain to my grandparents that the reason I don't wanna go has nothing to do with them and to explain how my anxiety works. My problem is I don't know how to explain because I am awful at explaining anything. I can't ever seen to find the right words which is from part of the anxiety. Anyways my big question is how do I explain my anxiety to someone who doesn't understand it?

Hey there @katerbug01

Yeah I can really empathise with you there, it is sooo hard to try and explain what goes on inside our heads and especially if trying to speak about it gives you more anxiety. I would suggest that you give them something to read beforehand and attach a note saying something along the lines of: "I suffer with anxiety and I find it hard to express how i'm feeling so I might struggle sometimes with doing things with large crowds or without lots of notice." You could then link them to an article that explains anxiety in a detailed but accessible way? You could try this one - https://www.ditchthelabel.org/dr-pam-struggling-anxiety/ or this one by us - https://www.ditchthelabel.org/12-quick-tips-to-enjoy-summer-when-you-have-anxiety/.

Sending lots of solidarity your way.

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.