I think I need help???

Rach    

Hi! Sorry if this comes across a little disjointed but I just want to get it all out!! So, I’ve been dealing with weird, stressful or scary intrusive thoughts and anxieties for a very long time, but they seem to be getting worse and worse. I am fully aware that everything I feel, I feel out of proportion, but that doesn’t stop me from ruminating on stupid things for months at a time. It feels like I’ll never be normal or feel comepektky okay? I really want to ask for help but I’m terrified that I’m actually just making it up and there’s nothing wrong with me.... I don’t know if that makes sense?? I’ve come far in the past few years without talking or telling anyone what was going on so I feel like it’s almost too late to ask for help now? I have really really bad anxiety and weird obsessive thoughts about health and illness all the time and I can’t control them. I spend hours looking at the same websites on line or reparations the same things to myself in order to get reassurance but it only ever lasts for a little while before I start obsessing with me. I don’t know what’s wrong with me and I just want someone to tell me what (if anything) I have and how I can deal with it. Any ideas would be truly appreciated so much! Or if anyone has experienced stuff like this I would love to know that I’m not super weird!! Thank you and I hope everyone’s having a lovely day ����������

Hello @Rach

Firstly, none of us is 'normal. There is no such thing. I'm sorry that you are experiencing some intrusive thoughts. I have had a little experience with this and 'loop' with thought patterns sometimes so I can empathise with how distressing this must be for you.

I think what I have learnt over the years is that it is always a better idea to share how you are feeling than keep it bottled up.

The only person that would be able to diagnose you would be a psychiatrist which you can access through your local GP. Do you know how to make an appointment with your GP.

I always found that intrusive thoughts can be a sign of being overwhelmed and are usually exacerbated when we are run down or are not practising self-care, so try and make sure you have good sleep hygiene and eating regularly and drinking lots of water. I find talking through this stuff with a friend or counsellor can really help too.

With looking at websites, could you set a timer when you start and set an alarm to go off every 5 minutes so you don't get too lost on looking through websites and you can do this a bit more mindfully.

You aren't alone, and it's really great that you chose to speak to someone about how you are feeling.

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hi! Thank you so much for replying I didn’t think anyone would! It’s lovely to hear that I’m not the only one to experience stuff like this. Thank you for the advice, I will defiantly try the timer and make sure that I’m looking after myself (which I’m not very good at!). I know I should talk to a counsellor or someone at some point but at the moment I don’t feel able to. I’m going to try and start being more open with people in the hope that it helps a bit. Hopefully I’ll feel better at some point. Thank you for the advice, hope you’re having a nice day. 😊

Hey @Rach

Of course, you really aren't alone. We can all struggle with looking after ourselves, just make sure you take a little time for yourself every day - this can be to binge watch a show, have a bath, do some exercise, cook yourself a really scrummy meal - a time just for you.

I always find the more I ignore the intrusive thoughts, then the stronger they come on for me. Sometimes it helps me to say them out loud to myself as sometimes it's good to hear them in real life and they seem a lot less scary.

I hope you do feel better, but it's a journey so don't feel too hard on yourself for feeling down, we need the down days to make us appreciate how great it is when it's good.

We're here for you!

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.