Hey Guys

Kin    

Hi Guys,

i was abused as a child and over the last 5-6 weeks I have come out as bi to important people still working on my best friends and family don’t think they they are ready. My doctor talked to me last week and wants me to address and work on the abuse.its like she is bullying me into doing it and thinks my sexual orientation has to do with abuse. I do fear older men but being bi has nothing to do with it she made me an appointment tomorrow and my anxiety is through the roof. I’m not ready I feel but she feels I am. I know she wants what’s best I just don’t feel ready. Feeling kind of lost in It.

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hi Kin, thanks for opening up. You're right that no one should feel under pressure or pushed into counselling / therapy as you need to commit to the process, which also incredibly helpful does have difficult times. (This time usually is when we are making the best progress)

It sounds like your doctor has the best of intentions but maybe went about it in a clumsy way. I guess an option would be to go to the appointment and see how you feel about it once you are there. Usually there is a general chat and questions about what it would entail. If you find that now is not the right time, then re visit it if / when you're ready. I find that in these situations I have to process for a while before any 'next steps'.

I agree that you don't want your sexuality erased as part of this, nor should you, as you are the only person who knows how you feel and who you may / may not be attracted to. This feels like an 'easy out' and distracting.

Would you feel able to check out the appointment if you knew that you didn't have to engage if you didn't want to?

Staff-Account.png

Hi Blondie

My appointment was changed to next Wednesday . If I could feel it out and choose if I want the counselling or not would be a lot easier. I’m gonna try talking to my doctor tomorrow see where she stands. I just don’t want her thinking I’m bi cuz of the abuse that’s not right! Thanks for your advice. Kin

I talked to my doctor today and basically she does kinda think I’m bi because of the abuse. I told her that is not why. Maybe she needs time to accept it. It seems like I can’t get through to her. I’m frustrated and offended kinda...

Hi @Kin

This is understandable that you would be frustrated. Have you clarified with her that this is what she means? Do you find it is useful to see her still?

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Dear Remi

I know what she meant and I’m gonna try to not let it get to me. She is a good person she helps me with my mental health weekly. I know I’m not gonna change myself I’m ok with who I am . I start the counselling tomorrow thanks Remi and Blondie!!wish me luck...