please give me advice on this situation

zoey.101    

ok well this isn't actually about me but this is about a close friend.. i'm kinda worried about her. lately she's been telling me so many people comment things about her and she's so insecure about herself and everything about her. i understand that this is a tough age and it's normal to feel like that, but she hates every aspect of herself to the point where she wants to kill herself sometimes. she tells me "i want to kill myself... i won't actually do it don't worry i just feel like it you know." and it worries me. i'm not really sure what to even say to her in those situations because i always tell her that she's beautiful no matter what anyone says but she just doesn't take my compliment or continues complaining. it's really frustrating and annoying at times too because i really have no idea what to say and it feels like sometimes she seeks for validation which i find really annoying. idk i'm afraid i'm being a bad friend for feeling this way but that's why i came here. to hopefully get some advice on staying calm and patient with her and helping her. also i don't know whether she's actually suicidal or not or she just says it... it's kinda worrying.

Hello zoey.101

Thanks for sharing this with us, I can see why you feel worried. It sounds like your friend is going through a really hard time right now. Please give her this number if she feels suicidal and encourage her to contact them - The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (suicidepreventionlifeline.org)

You can speak to them online or over the phone by calling 1-800-273-8255. They are a great organisation who can talk to her. Also, encourage her to share with other people - her family and teachers. The wider her support network is the more supported she may feel, It shouldn't ever be on one person to support

You are a good friend, you care about her which is why you have come to our community and asked for advice, it shows lots of compassion and kindness. The chances are if she is feeling like this she might already feel as though she is annoying everyone with her sadness so maybe try and not let her see that it is bothering you and vent to other people about it to stop her feeling like a burden. Try to think in a way that she is not choosing to be this way at all and she is probably already beating herself up a fair bit and that's why it's so hard to take any compliments at the moment.

Remember that her mental health is not your responsibility but try to be kind and let her know you are there for her. Make sure you look after yourself, it can be really emotionally draining supporting someone so make sure you regularly spend time with people that are uplifting as well. Have you tried talking to her about getting some help from a therapist?

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes with her.

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.