Questioning sexuality

Reece93    

So, to introduce myself briefly, my name is Reece, I'm 25 and from Liverpool. 3 things I'm into are gaming, messing around with computers and Punk Rock.

To get to the point, I've been questioning my sexuality for about 3 - 4 years now. I've mentioned that I don't think I'm straight to very few people. I get the impression that while I seem to like girls more that I might be bisexual or even under another sexuality. I'd said I was bi when I was in my teens but eventually went back to just thinking I'm straight. I'd like to know what people's experiences are with questioning your sexuality, what steps did you take to explore it and such? If you know what your sexuality is now, how did you come to realize that and if still questioning I'd like to hear from you as well. If there's anyone I can have a conversation with on here, I'd be really grateful.

Hey @Reece93

I changed your username to just @Reece93 as we don't allow full names of here, hope that's okay :).

So we actually have a thread with the amazing @Saski here https://www.ditchthelabel.org/community/forum/sexuality-dating-relationships/28401-ask-me-anything-sexuality-relationships-and-coming-out-with-saski Who will be talking about all things about sexuality if you would like to post here too.

I am happy to give you some advice from my brain though!

With questioning our sexuality, I guess that's what it is a question. For me, I am bisexual but my attraction to men and women can change a lot, sometimes I am far more attracted to women than men and vice versa - this doesn't, for me, mean I am any less bisexual. Everyone is entitled to put their own meaning onto their sexuality, we are never going to be able to fit into boxes neatly - and that's a great thing!

If you have any attraction to men and women then could be bisexual but really nothing is set in stone and your sexuality can be fluid and grow and change with you.

I know it's not exactly the answer you want as you want to just 'know' but I think this is more realistic. The steps I personally took was to date a lot of different people and then figure out how that made me feel.

I hope some of this helped!

Whos your favourite band btw?

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

That seems to be a decent take on it to be honest. I guess I've considered myself straight for most of my life because I've always leaned more towards women so it's easier to just say that.

I don't keep much homophobic or generally hateful company these days so I guess I'd feel more comfortable seeing another guy, providing I have those feelings towards them of course. It is complicated though by the look of things, I just thought maybe talking to someone who's been through that might be a good place to start working it all out.

Oh, as for music my favourite Punk band is probably Black Flag. In general though, I'd probably say Swans.

Thank you Remi :)

Edit: I forgot to mention it but the name change is fine, I just couldn't think of anything creative lol.

Edited by Reece93

Hey @Reece93

No worries, yup it can be confusing, wish there was a straight answer sometimes (no pun intended). I found that when I moved to a new city that was a lot more liberal it was easier to start dating people of the same sex so maybe now, for you having a more inclusive bunch of folks around you might help - i'm sure some other community members will want to share their experiences with you too!

Just checked out Black flag - like them!

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.