Hi! (a bit of my bullying and mental health story)

creativebeans    

Ditch the Label has been on my radar for a couple years now and I don't know if this is a new feature but I only just noticed this community!

I am 19. I was bullied throughout my childhood but if we are giving a time frame it was from the age of 4 or 5 to 17.

When it first started it was a boy I had a crush on and thought was a friend. He would call me names, hit or kick me and if he let me play with him (if I begged enough lol) he would always force me to play the monster and would physically hurt me. It wasn't just one or two people it was loads of people. Dozens including people I considered friends.

I first received death threats when I was around 9 years old from a boy in the year above.

People often called me a freak, cry baby, psychopath and many other horrid names I'm not sure I can write here. I was once backed into a holly bush, threatened with sharp objects, had my belongings stolen and hidden, strangled (many times) etc.

I started having suicidal thoughts when I was 11 but only started seeking mental health help at around 16 after other people noticed (because I started failing school). I have had some therapy and am on antidepressants and am on the waiting list for some more therapy.

It's been a bit of a roller coaster and I hope to help others on here going through their own roller coasters.

My biggest piece of advice for difficult times is to talk to someone. Talk to your parents or friends or you're favourite teacher. Back when I was 5 or so I tried telling a teachers assistant but she shut me down and I never felt I could talk about it again. That is one of my biggest regrets. Clearly she wasn't the right person to talk to and I shouldn't have let her stop me expressing my upset and found someone else I could talk to.

Hey there @creativebeans e

Firstly a big thank you to you for sharing so honestly here on our community, we really value your voice.

The community started in 2017 but was down for repairs for a few months but now we're back in full swing!

I am so so sorry you experienced bullying of this kind. No one deserves to be bullied and at no point did this ever happen to you before who you are, or what you are. It happened because unfortunately, people have underlying prejudice and sometimes can't understand people that are different to them. We are so happy you got help for your mental health.

We agree, talking to someone is one of the best things we can do when we are feeling bullied or we are suffering with our own mental health. Even if we only tell one person, a sibling, a friend, a teacher its good to know you are never in this alone and there will be people you can turn to.

Welcome to the community!

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.