afraid, scared and lgbt

claire    

hello,

i am a ugandan, i am bisexual. i am here because i look for safe spaces on the internet (i dont have much choice, the continent is immensely homophobic u never know if ull get killed or simply stigmatized) so am here to have fun. i am still closeted btw. and i completely have no intention of ever coming out. (unless i ever get out of the continent)

Edited by claire

Hello Claire,

A big big welcome from all of us! We are sooo happy to have you here.

This is a safe space and feel free to use it however you wish. I'm sorry your home country has such restricting homophobic beliefs and totally understand why coming out just isn't an option for you right now.

What are some things you like about Uganda? I would love to visit one day.

-Remi

Edited by Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

thank you very much. there's lots of things about Uganda, the climate, it's sunny throughout the year, plus the its like the weather has a natural thermostat. when it gets too hot, it rains a little to cool everything down. there's lots of animals, plus u can go for safari trips around, the food, tropical fruits too.... the list goes on and on..haha

Hey,

It sounds like a beautiful place, safaris are so cool. Still it must be so hard to not be able to fully be yourself around your family and friends. On your first post you said that you were afraid and scared? Are you in any immediate danger now?

Do you know of anyone else that is LGBT from your country?

-Remi

Edited by Remi

Initiallly, something had leaked on my facebook, which i deleted immediately but someone threatened to say sth and i thought i was in trouble by then.. but it turns out they were threatening about something totally different, so it's all good now.

currently i do know other lgbt people but they all go by alias names, via social media and other contacts.. they aren't very trusting pple (rightfully so). but i do know some.

Hey Claire,

I've been reading up about life for Ugandans in the LBGT community this weekend and it seems so tough. I saw articles about them cancelling any pride activities. I understand why people use alias'.

This is why social media and online communities are so great - hopefully this forum can connect you with some other people too.

-Remi

WOOOW!! you went that far, u actually read that stuff? thank you sooo much for the love. this is really dope. i will surely have fun here.. i already am, been reading a little stuff on here every free time i get.

Ugandans are a little ignorant abt some of the symbolism though. i can don my purple or rainbow and only the lgbt will understand, the rest seem to think its just normal colours. so maybe thats a good thing for now.

Of course, it interests me too, here in the UK we are really progressive with LGBT but still face prejudice but obviously nothing near what it's like where you are from.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/oct/09/minister-condemns-plans-uganda-first-lgbt-centre-as-criminal-act - this was one I found particularly interesting.

I have family in Sierra Leone and it's similar.

That's cool that you can have some secret rebel activism going on there.

What things do you do for fun?

-Remi

Of course, it interests me too, here in the UK we are really progressive with LGBT but still face prejudice but obviously nothing near what it's like where you are from.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/oct/09/minister-condemns-plans-uganda-first-lgbt-centre-as-criminal-act - this was one I found particularly interesting.

I have family in Sierra Leone and it's similar.

That's cool that you can have some secret rebel activism going on there.

What things do you do for fun?

-Remi

wait u have a family in sierra leone?