Greetings!!!

Aimen    

Hey, my name is Aimen. I am a 15 year old hijabi and ever since I began wearing this (6th grade), I have heard stereotypical comments about me. It didn't happen too often, until a kid my age thought I said something rude about him. From the beginning of the school year until now, he drives in his truck and yells "nerd" and "terrorist" at me. I don't know what to do and how to deal with it, which is the reason why I signed up on Ditch the Label. Writing this is nerve-wracking for me since I like keeping my personal life to myself, but I know I can find help here. Thank you.

Hello Aimen,

Welcome to community, we are really happy to have you. Thank you for sharing here especially if you are nervous.

Firstly, it doesn't matter at all what this person thought they heard you say. What they are saying to you is hate speech and absolutely not okay. I'm so so sorry you have to had to hear these things.

Just know that it comes from a place of misunderstanding and ignorance is in no means a reflection of you, your culture or the clothes that you wear.

You shouldn't have to be dealing with it. I know it's hard but I would suggest that you report this to a teacher you trust or a welfare advisor. In most countries there are laws and policies against hate speech which this would fall under and will have to be dealt with and taken seriously because of this.

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Thank you, I agree with you on everything, but I'm afraid to tell the school staff about this. The guy is very popular and has many friends, so if I told anyone about him, I feel like all of his friends would begin to bully me as well and I would feel a bit guilty (although I didn't do anything wrong).

Hi Aimen,

I understand it can feel really scary as you don't want to bring any more attention to you. Could you maybe tell the school that you would like to be discreet about it and about your fears.

I totally understand if you aren't ready to yet though. I'm really happy you know it's not your fault.

What things do you like about school?

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.