I don’t know how to come out to my friends

Maddie    

I‘m 15 and I think that I have been in denial of myself for years, always saying that I’m straight, until recently. I finally accepted the truth, and realized that I’m bi. I told my mom who is always very supporting and helpful, and she said that she will love me no matter what and that made me feel great. At school, I have a lot of friends from both sexes, and several of them are either lesbian or bi. All of my friends aren’t homophobic, but I’m afraid that they’ll judge me for not coming out sooner. My closer friends have known me for many years, and I’m scared that they’ll start distancing themselves from me, or thinking that I like them just cause I like either gender. What should I do?

Hello Maddie,

Welcome to Community thank you for being so honest and sharing that with us.

You say that you were in denial and that you have accepted the truth...Are you happy that you have realized you're bi?

I think it's great that you have such a supportive mum, and that all of your friends are also very positive when it comes to sexuality - that really must help this situation.

Your fear of telling your friends after a long time is completely valid, I guess you are worried that it feels as though you have kept something from them? In truth, we all develop our sexuality at different times.

What makes you think your friends would distance themselves from you for coming out? Have they ever said something to indicate it would be a problem?

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hello Maddie,

Welcome to Community thank you for being so honest and sharing that with us.

You say that you were in denial and that you have accepted the truth...Are you happy that you have realized you're bi?

I think it's great that you have such a supportive mum, and that all of your friends are also very positive when it comes to sexuality - that really must help this situation.

Your fear of telling your friends after a long time is completely valid, I guess you are worried that it feels as though you have kept something from them? In truth, we all develop our sexuality at different times.

What makes you think your friends would distance themselves from you for coming out? Have they ever said something to indicate it would be a problem?

-Remi

Hi Maddie,

I'm bisexual like you and I used to think that when I first came out. I think since you're close to them, they won't distance themselves from you or think you like them like that. If anyone judges you for not coming out sooner than you should just try to explain how hard that might've been for you to do. and if they still judge you then I think you should find new friends that are completely supportive of you and can understand what it's like to think they'll judge you. I hope this helped