What do I do?

Angel Dust Β  Β 

So my dad is extremely homophobic and I don't know how to handle it. It's getting on my nerves and I just want to scream in his face but I can't or else I'll just get yelled at back twice as loud. Help?

• Digital Mentor
27 minutes ago, Angel Dust said:

So my dad is extremely homophobic and I don't know how to handle it. It's getting on my nerves and I just want to scream in his face but I can't or else I'll just get yelled at back twice as loud. Help?

Hi @Angel Dust,

Pleased to meet you. My name is Duckie and I'm one of the support mentors. Thank you for sharing this dilemma with us.

It sounds really upsetting for you to hear your dad say things like these. Am I right in understanding that you have come out to him? If so, this is of course extra hurtful, as it would feel really personal. Are you two pretty close otherwise? Why do you think he feels the need to go off on these homophobic rants?

Do you have another parent or close relative that you can speak to and ask for advice on how to talk to him and make him understand that what he's saying is offensive? Maybe someone could talk to him for you? What do you think?

Staff-Account.png

On 4/23/2024 at 3:39 PM, Duckie said:

Hi @Angel Dust,

Pleased to meet you. My name is Duckie and I'm one of the support mentors. Thank you for sharing this dilemma with us.

It sounds really upsetting for you to hear your dad say things like these. Am I right in understanding that you have come out to him? If so, this is of course extra hurtful, as it would feel really personal. Are you two pretty close otherwise? Why do you think he feels the need to go off on these homophobic rants?

Do you have another parent or close relative that you can speak to and ask for advice on how to talk to him and make him understand that what he's saying is offensive? Maybe someone could talk to him for you? What do you think?

I already came out to him but I'm pretty sure he forgotΒ πŸ₯²

• Digital Mentor
14 hours ago, Angel Dust said:

I already came out to him but I'm pretty sure he forgotΒ πŸ₯²

Hi @Angel Dust,

How did he react when you first came out to him? Was there anything indicating that he may have not paid attention or anything? It might be that he is struggling to understand it (not that he has to - he has to accept it and repect it firstly) and is trying to have a conversation about it; in his own unhelpful way. Would it be worth reminding him that this is a group you stand with and identify with and that his remarks are hurtful?

Staff-Account.png

On 4/23/2024 at 4:08 PM, Angel Dust said:

Hi im Ash! I relate to this lol me and my parents yell ALOT at eachother and when I came out thats sorta how it was. But look if you are not safe dont say anything ok? I would mention somth like oh did you hear --- is bi or queer wtv and you see how he acts be safe though