Need advice for bullied at work

BlueElizabeth    

I am needing some creative advice. I have a boss that picks on me constantly and has favorite people that follow her lead. I've tried talking to her, I've tried ignoring, I've tried HR. I am under contract for three more months and don't know how to deal anymore. I had a death in the family and I am emotionally weak and it's like she knows it and is worse. Any creative advice on what to do to get through these next three months?

Duckie
This post was recognized by Duckie!

"Very kind and thoughtful of you to share this :)"

Emberfrost12 was awarded the badge 'Great Advice' and 10 points.

1 hour ago, BlueElizabeth said:

I am needing some creative advice. I have a boss that picks on me constantly and has favorite people that follow her lead. I've tried talking to her, I've tried ignoring, I've tried HR. I am under contract for three more months and don't know how to deal anymore. I had a death in the family and I am emotionally weak and it's like she knows it and is worse. Any creative advice on what to do to get through these next three months?

I have no advice as to how to improve the situation, but I do have a few ideas as to how to get through it. 

- Find some people to hang out with/talk to when you’re off work. If you don’t have anyone, try chatting with some of the other coworkers who aren’t her favorite (not necessarily about the situation) , or invite a few out for coffee or something. Relationships can be really helpful in circumstances like this, especially if you feel  that they’ve got your back

- pick a thing each week you’re going to do for yourself. Just think of something you like doing and then hype it up and make it a big deal for yourself. Make it a bit bigger- you could involve other people or not. Like, watching a movie is okay, but maybe you want to watch a childhood favorite and have something fun to eat/drink and make a point to dress super comfortably. 

- make a list each evening or morning of 

1-2 things you’re looking forward to

2 good memories you’ve had (if you feel ready, one could be with the person who passed)

3 good qualities you have, or that you’ve been told you have 

4 things that have gone well today (this could be anything - waking up on time, getting toast perfectly toasted, remembering to shower, good traffic/transit, etc)

These may seem cringy or unhelpful, but it could surprise you; just give them a try at least a few times

hope they help!

Edited by Emberfrost12
  • Like 2

• Digital Mentor
On 3/9/2024 at 2:11 AM, BlueElizabeth said:

Heyy @BlueElizabeth, I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss in your family. Dealing with grief is already challenging, and having to navigate a difficult work situation on top of it must be incredibly tough. It sounds like you've already taken some proactive steps by trying to address the situation directly with your boss and involving HR, which shows a lot of courage and determination on your part. Since traditional avenues like communication and HR haven't yielded the desired results, have you considered documenting specific instances of unfair treatment or favouritism? Keeping a record could provide tangible evidence if you need to escalate the issue further or seek support from a higher authority within your organization. What do you think? 

Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

Additionally, reaching out to supportive colleagues or mentors within your workplace might provide some solace during this challenging time. Sometimes having allies who understand your situation can make a big difference, even if they can't directly change the behaviour of your boss. Would you happen to have such a system for yourself?

Also, as you navigate these next three months, it's important to prioritize your well-being. Are there any coping mechanisms or self-care practices that have helped you in the past during difficult times? Whether it's setting boundaries, engaging in mindfulness exercises, or seeking support from friends and family outside of work, finding ways to prioritize your mental and emotional health can be invaluable. 

Staff-Account.png