Favorite Christmas tradition

Emberfrost12    

What is your favorite thing to do during the holidays, year after year after year? Alternatively, what is a holiday tradition you want to start with your people?

Oooh good question. My family does a very classic Christmas, just with our immediate family, with presents and usually an advent calendar. We started doing a Christmas present draw so each person in the family has a designated person to give gifts to, which I like. 

I know my brother would love to start a ski/snowboarding trip tradition around the holidays lol. I personally think doing a book advent calendar would be cool for new tradition (instead of a traditional one)-I know one of my friends doing that with another of her friends!

Also baking. Hands down baking is my absolute favourite thing to do during the holidays.

• Like 2

• Digital Mentor

It's a Swedish tradition that the dad of the family has to pretend to go to the shops to get the newspapers. As he leaves, santa comes in and dad "misses" santa every year. This is a tradition I've forced my British husband to do every single year since our daughter was a baby. He even tries a bit of Swedish (but he usually makes a hillarious mistake). Being able to carry on the Swedish tradition to my Swenglish family is something I really look forward to. My daughter is equal parts shy (very unusual for her) and excited and just stares at santa in amazement as he hands out the gifts. So yes, Christmas is celebrated on the 24th and santa actually comes to your house (we don't do the whole "he sees you when you're sleeping").

• Like 2

Staff-Account.png

Mine personally is decorating the christmas tree or baking/decorating christmas cookies

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Duckie said:

It's a Swedish tradition that the dad of the family has to pretend to go to the shops to get the newspapers. As he leaves, santa comes in and dad "misses" santa every year. This is a tradition I've forced my British husband to do every single year since our daughter was a baby. He even tries a bit of Swedish (but he usually makes a hillarious mistake). Being able to carry on the Swedish tradition to my Swenglish family is something I really look forward to. My daughter is equal parts shy (very unusual for her) and excited and just stares at santa in amazement as he hands out the gifts. So yes, Christmas is celebrated on the 24th and santa actually comes to your house (we don't do the whole "he sees you when you're sleeping").

Aw I love that.

• Like 1

• Digital Mentor
11 hours ago, Unsure-But-Sure-All-At-Once said:

Aw I love that.

My husband asks "how long do I have to do this for?" (as in how many years).

I say "at least 10 years after our daughter is embarrassed by it" 😅 She's only 4 so I think he's signed up for a lifetime of being the Christmas Eve santa! 

• Haha 2

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
On 11/30/2023 at 10:00 PM, Unsure-But-Sure-All-At-Once said:

Also baking. Hands down baking is my absolute favourite thing to do during the holidays.

Mine, too. In Germany we have this tradition, where we bake Christmas cookies, called Plätzchen. Every time you go and visit friends you take some Plätzchenwith you as a little gift and everyone ends up sharing all their Plätzchen with everyone else. They are often recipes that have been handed down from generation to generation. The recipes my family use are from my great grandmother. They are really delicious and use loads of Christmas spices  

• Like 2

Staff-Account.png