This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Disordered Eating

Self image

sanja    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Disordered Eating

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Hi i have been thinking about this and wanted to share it. I feel like having am eating disorded from an early age ruined the way I see myself to explain more I am now 17 and I have been having problems wirh ed since I was 12. No matter how hard I work to gain better self image i dont think I will ever be able to come to the point where when looking in the mirror i dont think that Ill  be prettier if i was skinnier or better looking. On top of all of this I have never been in a serious realathionship and I dont think ill be able to be in one until I feel confident enought  currently I dont believe that someone can like me and I do not know how to fix this. I dont curently have an eating disorder but the thoughts are still there ,how do I get rid of them and fjlly recover and is that even possible?

Luie
This post was recognized by Luie!

Megs- was awarded the badge 'Great Advice' and 10 points.

3 hours ago, sanja said:

Hi i have been thinking about this and wanted to share it. I feel like having am eating disorded from an early age ruined the way I see myself to explain more I am now 17 and I have been having problems wirh ed since I was 12. No matter how hard I work to gain better self image i dont think I will ever be able to come to the point where when looking in the mirror i dont think that Ill  be prettier if i was skinnier or better looking. On top of all of this I have never been in a serious realathionship and I dont think ill be able to be in one until I feel confident enought  currently I dont believe that someone can like me and I do not know how to fix this. I dont curently have an eating disorder but the thoughts are still there ,how do I get rid of them and fjlly recover and is that even possible?

Hi there,

My advice might not be as good because it’s 4am for me when replying to you but I saw your post and I can relate to it very much! At the end of this I will tag the support mentors who can support you better. ( hugs ).

As someone who suffers with their eating, and the way they look at food I can hear you very much about this and I admire your strength in telling us here at DTL with what is happening for you currently.

Can I ask, might be a question you’re not comfortable in answering, but have you had or reached out to an eating disorder team or even your GP? I am aware it might be different to reach out to in different countries, but I’ll get t onto that in a little bit.

I have kindly worked with one of DTL amazing support mentors here at DTL, regarding food, and ways to keep myself nutritious and healthy, but without triggering myself too much. 

Do you have any ‘safe’ foods you feel comfortable eating? I really enjoy pasta, and I suffer on a daily with food etc, and I try ( of course not always ) successful in eating it daily, but looking after our bodies is so important even if we don’t want to, because of reasons surrounding the issue.

Like you, I have never been formally diagnosed with an eating disorder, but just because we haven’t been diagnosed does not mean we’re any less severe than someone with a diagnosed disorder, does that make sense?

You deserve to have support around this, above I have mentioned a lot and I will definitely have a look at different eating disorder websites or helplines you can get in contact with in your country, but if you’re in UK, you can contact your GP and explain everything, then they’ll make a decision whether a referal is necessary etc. ( could be wrong, not sure ). But, there is also a helpline online called BEAT, it’s an eating disorder website/helpline that you could talk to, ( if your in. uK of course ).  But, I know I probably have made no sense but you are not alone in this, we are here for you and your feelings and emotions matter. I just met you and I care about you and will try my best to support you, I’m gonna tag the support mentors below so they can support you also, stay safe and speak soon!

megs xx 🫂❤️

@Digital Mentor

• Digital Mentor

Heyy @sanja,  I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label. I see that you're new to our platform and I wanted to say a massive welcome! Super awesome having you join our community. You can start conversations like this or even join other topics on the forums option. We also offer one to one support if you'd prefer that, if you click on 'Confidential Support' in the top bar next to blogs, you can send a request and one of the support mentors will get back to you. 

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor

8 hours ago, sanja said:

I really appreciate you opening up and sharing your thoughts and feelings @sanja. It takes courage to talk about such personal experiences. I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with these feelings since such a young age. It must be challenging to navigate those thoughts about self-image and relationships. It's completely normal to feel the way you do, especially given the impact that an eating disorder can have on one's perception of themselves. Your feelings are valid, and it's okay to acknowledge the difficulty in breaking away from those thoughts. It's also positive that you're aware of the impact this might have on your confidence in relationships. I think @Megs- has given some supportive advice from her experiences and I hope you know there are others who are going through a similar thing or have in the past, you're not alone in feeling this way.

I'm curious to know if you have any support systems in place, whether it's friends, family, or maybe even a school counsellor or therapist? Opening up to someone you trust about your feelings could be a step toward understanding and addressing these thoughts. Is there anyone you feel comfortable talking to about this with in person?

Also, I wanted to check with you if you'd like to speak about this more 1-1 on confidential support or if you're happy to continue the conversation here itself? Whatever is the most comfortable for you. 

Staff-Account.png

Hi Meg’s here again, 

I have found a website that could help? I’m not sure because I’m used to searching for helplines in UK, so sorry. 

There is this website that is called, The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness Helpline. It is a free helpline for anyone who thinks or has an eating disorder. Here’s the link - 

https://www.allianceforeatingdisorders.com/

I know my advice is not the best, but I honestly have tried to search deep to try and get you a helpline you can access if you need to. Hugs 🫂 

4 hours ago, Megs- said:

Hi Meg’s here again, 

I have found a website that could help? I’m not sure because I’m used to searching for helplines in UK, so sorry. 

There is this website that is called, The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness Helpline. It is a free helpline for anyone who thinks or has an eating disorder. Here’s the link - 

https://www.allianceforeatingdisorders.com/

I know my advice is not the best, but I honestly have tried to search deep to try and get you a helpline you can access if you need to. Hugs 🫂 

Hey thank you so much for all the help🩷

4 minutes ago, sanja said:

Hey thank you so much for all the help🩷

I hope the link helps, I’m here and the others are also to support you through this very, difficult and challenging time ❤️

• Digital Mentor

19 hours ago, sanja said:

Hi @sanja,

Thank you so much for sharing and for letting us in on what's happened.

My name is Duckie and I'm one of the support mentors. I have personal experience with ED, so I know what it's like ❤️

Season 10 Hug GIF by Friends

It is incredibly common for ED to start at a young age. It's really sad, because essentially you have to deal with this on top of dealing with your body changing due to growing up and it really messes with your brain. When would you say you managed to kick the ED? Did you ever receive some kind of help or support to help you deal with it? 

Staff-Account.png

On 11/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, Luie said:

I really appreciate you opening up and sharing your thoughts and feelings @sanja. It takes courage to talk about such personal experiences. I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with these feelings since such a young age. It must be challenging to navigate those thoughts about self-image and relationships. It's completely normal to feel the way you do, especially given the impact that an eating disorder can have on one's perception of themselves. Your feelings are valid, and it's okay to acknowledge the difficulty in breaking away from those thoughts. It's also positive that you're aware of the impact this might have on your confidence in relationships. I think @Megs- has given some supportive advice from her experiences and I hope you know there are others who are going through a similar thing or have in the past, you're not alone in feeling this way.

I'm curious to know if you have any support systems in place, whether it's friends, family, or maybe even a school counsellor or therapist? Opening up to someone you trust about your feelings could be a step toward understanding and addressing these thoughts. Is there anyone you feel comfortable talking to about this with in person?

Also, I wanted to check with you if you'd like to speak about this more 1-1 on confidential support or if you're happy to continue the conversation here itself? Whatever is the most comfortable for you. 

Heyy can we speak about this 1-1?

• Digital Mentor

13 minutes ago, sanja said:

Heyy can we speak about this 1-1?

Of course dear! I'll start a confidential support chat for you and message you when I have!

Staff-Account.png