My Friend Needs Help

Evangeline_S98    

My best friend has bipolar and is addicted to valium.

I don't know how to help them. They're very stubborn and the more I push, the more they'll be against the idea.

They think life isn't worth living and are content being where they are. Having no interests and taking drugs. They're 'comfortable' that way.

I'm on my journey to recovery myself, but I don't want to get better without them.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Hey Evangeline_S98,

Welcome to Community! I'm so glad you found us and brought this very important topic to the discussion.

Firstly-- I want to acknowledge your recovery. This is incredible! I know this road is hard, but the fact that you've looked at your life and seen where you would like to make changes, shows incredible strength and awareness.

I know it can be hard to see someone else suffer... but it's important to remember that the only reason why you'll have success for recovery is if you really want it. It sounds like your friend cannot see the benefits of recovery, yet.

What kind of support are you receiving throughout your own recovery process? And what do you think your friend's recovery might look like?

Without expecting them to change, remind your friend how much you care about them. You don't love them less because of their choices, but you can see their potential, and wish for them to aim to be the healthiest version of themselves. We have an article that provides tips on how to talk to anyone about anything... it may be great to talk to them about how you feel, and open up the space for them to be honest about how they're feeling.

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/speak-anyone-anything-conflict-resolution/

But, you need to make sure you're taken care of-- your success cannot be based on their willingness to change. How do you keep yourself healthy?

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

That’s a rough subject. But that’s great you want to help your friend. My friends are like her as well the best you can do for them is be there when they need you check up on them regularly and support them. Show them that no matter how awful things may be you will always be there for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Evangeline_S98,

Welcome to Community! I'm so glad you found us and brought this very important topic to the discussion.

Firstly-- I want to acknowledge your recovery. This is incredible! I know this road is hard, but the fact that you've looked at your life and seen where you would like to make changes, shows incredible strength and awareness.

I know it can be hard to see someone else suffer... but it's important to remember that the only reason why you'll have success for recovery is if you really want it. It sounds like your friend cannot see the benefits of recovery, yet.

What kind of support are you receiving throughout your own recovery process? And what do you think your friend's recovery might look like?

Without expecting them to change, remind your friend how much you care about them. You don't love them less because of their choices, but you can see their potential, and wish for them to aim to be the healthiest version of themselves. We have an article that provides tips on how to talk to anyone about anything... it may be great to talk to them about how you feel, and open up the space for them to be honest about how they're feeling.

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/speak-anyone-anything-conflict-resolution/

But, you need to make sure you're taken care of-- your success cannot be based on their willingness to change. How do you keep yourself healthy?

-willow

Thank you for replying to my post. It was really helpful. And sorry for my late reply.

I've been put on medication by my GP (I suffer from anxiety and depression) and I'm doing my best to be more social and do things, people, my age do :)

I do think it's possible to help my friend. I just need to be there for them and encourage them but not push. They're a really sensible person... I think they'll get through. I've been assigned to talk to someone. I think the same treatment might work for my friend. As well as getting them away from their family who didn't raise them right.

Edited by Evangeline_S98

That’s a rough subject. But that’s great you want to help your friend. My friends are like her as well the best you can do for them is be there when they need you check up on them regularly and support them. Show them that no matter how awful things may be you will always be there for them.

Thank you for replying to my post xx

I'm sorry to hear that you have a similar problem. But I think you're right. All you can do is be there for them and support them as best you can.

I've been seeing them more lately so that's a start. And I've been more understanding as well. I think they'll pull through. They're very stubborn xD