My new boss is a bully

Newgirl73    

I've been out of work for seven months, and I've gone on about a thousand interviews, and finally, finally, got a job.  I have been so beyond excited to start working again, and especially for this company.  They offered me a great salary, and I started work three weeks ago.  Turns out, my boss is AWFUL. She's a complete micro-manager, and she doesn't even speak to me unless, she's pointing out an error I've made.  Anytime I know she's watching me, which is almost ALWAYS, I feel so nervous, and my brain goes BONKERS and I can't think straight. I wish she would just leave me alone. The other guy that's training me is not skilled as a trainer, and it's really hard for me to learn things from him. So, I appear to them to be incompetent, but I'm not, I'm just really nervous......I hate my new job so much, Im really close to not going in today. Just calling in sick. I can't reach out to other co workers, because there is none.  We work at a satellite office for a large company, so basically we have a small office inside another companys office building, and there isn't any higher ups nearby.

• Digital Mentor
On 8/16/2023 at 3:01 PM, Newgirl73 said:

I've been out of work for seven months, and I've gone on about a thousand interviews, and finally, finally, got a job.  I have been so beyond excited to start working again, and especially for this company.  They offered me a great salary, and I started work three weeks ago.  Turns out, my boss is AWFUL. She's a complete micro-manager, and she doesn't even speak to me unless, she's pointing out an error I've made.  Anytime I know she's watching me, which is almost ALWAYS, I feel so nervous, and my brain goes BONKERS and I can't think straight. I wish she would just leave me alone. The other guy that's training me is not skilled as a trainer, and it's really hard for me to learn things from him. So, I appear to them to be incompetent, but I'm not, I'm just really nervous......I hate my new job so much, Im really close to not going in today. Just calling in sick. I can't reach out to other co workers, because there is none.  We work at a satellite office for a large company, so basically we have a small office inside another companys office building, and there isn't any higher ups nearby.

Hi there, I've noticed that you are new here so I wanted to start off by saying a big welcome to Ditch the Label. It's lovely to meet you. I am Aurora and I am one of the support mentors here. I give support and advice to those who reach out to us. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time at work. It sounds like you were really looking forward to starting this new position and now your new boss is making you feel completely deskilled. Is that right? I can totally understand why you are feeling nervous in that situation and how this is having an impact on your performance. Is it Ok if I ask you a few more questions? Please don't feel you have to answer them if you don't want to. You mentioned that there are no co workers - does that mean it is just you,  the person who is training you and your boss. Is that right? Have you had any contact with the HR department at all? If so, do they seem approachable at all? Also, do you mind me asking, how old you are? I'm only asking, because I am trying to figure out if you're boss behaviour might have something to do with your age (not that that should be a reason!). Do you know if she treats everyone the way she has been treating you? 

Thanks so much for opening up about what has been going on for you. I'm glad you've found us and we are here to support you with this. 

Staff-Account.png