I think both my face and body are ugly.

Rea    

Hello.

I'm currently in high school, and I am even becoming annoyed of myself of how low my self-esteem is. I've been trying to just sometimes appear as if I'm egotistic when I'm the complete opposite of that, just to try and make myself feel better. It doesn't help.

I've been told countless times by other kids back in primary that I was fat and weird, although this was a long time ago and we were all just small children, I suppose the fact that nobody really ever hanged out with me just got to me and my self confidence; despite having so many friends now who even occassionally genuinely tell me I'm a really cute person, especially when I bring my hair up. But whenever I look into a mirror, take a picture or just accidentally see my reflection in some sort of glass while walking to school, I start obsessing over looking at my face again and again looking at all the flaws on my face and desperately trying to cover them with nothing but my own mind telling myself that I'm fine just the way I am. But all those words that come from myself or any of my friends always seem empty to me. As if nobody actually means it as soon as I see my own face. I've been too afraid to bring my hair up in a ponytail the first few weeks, and I'm still afraid to do a lot of things. I keep feeling that I'm disgusting and my ideas are stupid and worthy of being made fun of. I just don't know how to stop this.. I'm super self conscious of my body, my round face, my small lips, my big round nose, and a mole right above the left side of my lip. I hate a lot of things about myself and my entire family just always tells me I'm stupid and dumb for thinking that as if I'm some freak who they suddenly got scared of. Please help. Give me advice, anything, I don't want to keep crying and being afraid to do literally anything new.

Hi Rea,

You ARE beautiful! Of course it's not easy to remember... but I'm telling you, it's true! And it's a wonderful thing if you see your true beauty. We are surrounded by images of what we're told is 'beautiful'.. but, really, those just create ugliness, since people are focused on developing themselves externally vs. internally.

I''m sorry your family's reaction to you expressing your worries has affected you like it has... the way you feel is valid. And I'm glad you're looking to find a better way to feel happy about yourself.

It's great that you've tried to present yourself with a bit of pride... 'faking it until you make it' has some sort of truth, if you make yourself truly believe it. Have you ever tried a 'mantra'? It's a few phrases you would say to yourself to get you into the mindset of self-love. I say my mantra daily-- I look in the mirror at myself (directly in my eyes) and state this:

"I am beautiful. I am smart. I am strong. I am capable. I am worthy of love. I am loved."

Don't worry if you try this and it creates lots of emotions... that's where the healing begins.

Would love to know how it goes if you try this!

​​​​​​​-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• 3 months later...

Hi Rea,

I feel for you, sounds like you are in a tricky situation. This post is focused more on facial beauty and I really hope it helps. It's advice for myself first and foremost.

Here is one thing that might help. Some attractive/well liked/popular people are not conventionally attractive but instead, they have made up for their lack of face symmetry, inherent facial beauty and/or wacky proportions by improving themselves in some other way. One way might be smiling warmly a lot...an 'ugly' frowning face is usually a LOT less pleasant than an 'ugly' smiling face. Smiling radiates positivity but sometimes, those of us who are less attractive might smile less because we think we look ugly when we smile when in fact all that does is make us look mopey, sad and/or unapproachable.

Another way these famous icons might make up for their lack of inherent facial beauty is being excellent at what they do...Rihanna for example really doesn't have great facial proportions, nor is here body that attractive...but she is loved around the world and people think she is a stunning 10 out of 10...even the icon CHRIS BROWN used to be with here (and whether you like him or hate him, there's no doubt he is one of the most attractive people in the world). What she did is be amazing at her craft, have her own unique attitude and style, and be confident about what she has been given genetically.

Lastly, we can look at Jaz Z. Again, correct me if I am wrong, he is not inherently attractive, and not even really in shape from what I remember, but he is with Beyonce who is regarded as one of the most attractive women in the world. How did it do it? Confidence, being amazing at his craft, and keeping presentability by looking after himself ( always has a fresh haircut, teeth is white which you can whiten like once a year etcetera and similar for Rihanna).

Regardless of the examples I've used, I just want you to get the take home message which is that regardless of what we have been dealt, we can always

1) Improve on the things we can change (e.g. keeping our teeth white, keeping our hair presentable, smiling warmly when greeting people) and

2) Be content with the things we can't change (e.g. some face asymmetry, some disproportionate facial features, face shape ).

All the best to you, handsome person!

Edited by Sam_Sam

• 1 month later...

I am ugly be today's standards. I am 31 and never heard that I am sexy, handsome,cute whatever. I ashamed of who I and even told my own mother that she gave birth to an ugly human being. Life is just shit for some and there is nothing I can do .I don't need to whiten my teeth or loose weight. I am great chef and can cook but it just doesn't impress anyone or make me more sexier.

Hey @lionel1533

How do you know? Maybe people just haven't heard anyone say it but we can't get inside everyone's head and know what they are saying or thinking about us. \

Self love is a journey and not a destination, so you have to challenge that thought of being ashamed of yourself.

Try and work on changing your mindset around your appearance and this will shine outwards.

-Remi

• 2 weeks later...

Its to late now,I am at a point in life where everything just goes down hill. How can I be happy with myself now a days? I don't even know who I am or will ever know. My so called inner beauty doesn't exist,,not sure what it really is. I am just not attractive and this will not got me anywhere. I will be single for the rest of my life.

@lionel1533 We are so much more than our outside shell - you are deserving of love and to love.

How do you know that? I have never been in love. I get depressed when I see couples walking about and wonder when will I ever be that lucky guy. It hurts me a lot, I have a scar that will be impossible to heal. To me, love doesn't exist. Do I have love to give? Very much so. So much that makes it difficult to find any chance for that special feeling. I just don't know what to do or say to a girl I like.

Hi @lionel1533

Lots of people get nervous when talking to other people - but really, it's important to just be yourself, compliment people, try to find common interests. Sometimes women are just as scared of rejection as you might be.

-Remi

As im reading i can relate to the many stories that are on here. Im new to the community. I live in a small mobile home community and many of the neighbors here say that i look like a boy or that im ugly. Im a smoker so i go outside alot. I pretend this doesnt bother me but it really does. I get angry all the time and scared to look around. I always hope that no one sees me. I also struggle with social anxiety so i fight with that everyday as well as depression i get suicidal alot thinking im not good enough to be outside. I wish there was something that could make me feel better. Im 40 years old and my looks are starting to fade. Im starting to look like a boy. Everyone else agrees. content:edia/external/file/11748

Hey @Sashakins

We don't know what others are thinking about us. We have to not listen to the opinions of those that do not care about us. Try going for regular short walks outside of the house - put headphones in try to focus on you and not everyone else - you are worthy and deserving of being outside.

If you are ever struggling with thoughts of suicide - make sure you reach out to organisations and tell your friends and family how you feel. The national suicide prevention helpline number is 1-800-273-TALK 1-800-273-8255.

Looks are always temporary, people will remember how you made them feel not what you look like.

-Remi

• 1 month later...
I am ugly be today's standards. I am 31 and never heard that I am sexy, handsome,cute whatever. I ashamed of who I and even told my own mother that she gave birth to an ugly human being. Life is just shit for some and there is nothing I can do .I don't need to whiten my teeth or loose weight. I am great chef and can cook but it just doesn't impress anyone or make me more sexier.

@lionel1533 You know actually it quite attractive to find a male/female these days that know how to cook, chef title even that’s so cool. But you know we all want to fall for someone handsome and sexy but the sad thing about it is we can’t tell our heart who to beat for and who not too, because in the end we fall for personalities. The way you smile, the way you laugh, how positive you are, how kind you are to others. Those things make a person instantly fall even without them wanting to. And you might not believe what I’m saying but it’s true because we all want to fall for someone sweet and kind, even if you aren’t so sweet let’s say being sweet isn’t your style you can still be warm-hearted. and even if we do get rejected Or heart broken at least we can say we fell for a warm-hearted person and not an A hole right. At the end of the day the ones we marry and fall in love with it all depends on personality. You could be so hot but be a total A hole and you might get a bunch of one night stands but you definitely won’t be that person someone wants to keep. So look at yourself in mirror and try being more happy and positive knowing you can do it and surround yourself with positive people so you can have a positive attitude once you do that look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what you don’t like, and once you find that change it. I know it’s going to Be hard but I believe in you

Edited by Coconut

Its to late now,I am at a point in life where everything just goes down hill. How can I be happy with myself now a days? I don't even know who I am or will ever know. My so called inner beauty doesn't exist,,not sure what it really is. I am just not attractive and this will not got me anywhere. I will be single for the rest of my life.

@lionel1533 Im sure it’s not about your looks maybe it’s about Approaching and conversations if you need help reach out to someone and see how you can talk to girls. I know it might seem like Us girls are hard to talk to but we aren’t just a little bit of effort and you got it. But if they give you too much of a hard time they aren’t worth it. Im sure you’d know the difference between playing hard to get and purposely Making someone chase you just for fun