Any tips for a Freshman??

the.one.they.call.gay Β  Β 

I'm heading into freshman year of high school this Fall. However, I'm not really caught up pn curriculum stuff. Does anyone know what I should at least have a good understanding of by the time the summer ends?Β 

• Digital Mentor
On 6/12/2023 at 10:58 PM, ur_gay_bestie said:

I'm heading into freshman year of high school this Fall. However, I'm not really caught up pn curriculum stuff. Does anyone know what I should at least have a good understanding of by the time the summer ends?Β 

Heyy @ur_gay_bestie, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β It's completely normal to have concerns about transitioning to high school and feeling uncertain about the curriculum. The good news is that you still have time to prepare and build a solid foundation before the summer ends. I was brainstorming and here are a few suggestions to help you get started:

• Reach out to your school: Consider contacting your future high school or checking their website for information regarding the curriculum. Many schools provide course outlines or recommended summer reading lists. This will give you a better understanding of what to expect
  • Review previous coursework: Take some time to review the subjects you studied in middle school. Look over your notes, textbooks, or any other materials you have from your previous classes. This will help refresh your memory and reinforce your understanding of key concepts
  • Focus on fundamental skills: High school often builds upon the foundational skills you've learned in middle school. Make sure you have a good grasp of fundamental concepts in subjects like math (basic operations, fractions, algebraic concepts), English (grammar, vocabulary, writing), and science (scientific method, basic scientific principles)
  • Practice time management and study skills: High school can be demanding, so it's essential to develop effective study habits and time management skills. Experiment with different study techniques, find a study routine that works for you, and practice staying organized
  • Seek additional resources: There are numerous online resources, educational websites, and even tutoring services available to help you reinforce your knowledge and bridge any learning gaps. Consider using platforms like Khan Academy, Coursera, or YouTube tutorials to access free educational content which I remember were helpful for me
  • Don't hesitate to ask for help: If you come across specific topics or concepts that you find challenging, don't hesitate to ask for help. Reach out to your teachers, classmates, or even online forums and communities dedicated to academic support. Remember, everyone learns at their own pace, and seeking assistance is a sign of strength

Lastly, try not to overwhelm yourself. High school is a fresh start for everyone, and teachers understand that students come from diverse backgrounds. Use this summer as an opportunity to prepare, but also make time for relaxation and enjoying your break. And hey, you've got this! With a positive mindset, willingness to learn, and a proactive approach, you'll be well-prepared for your freshman year. And if any feelings of anxiety come up, here for you, you aren't alone in this. How does all of this sound to you?

Β 

Staff-Account.png

2 minutes ago, Luie said:

Heyy @ur_gay_bestie, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β It's completely normal to have concerns about transitioning to high school and feeling uncertain about the curriculum. The good news is that you still have time to prepare and build a solid foundation before the summer ends. I was brainstorming and here are a few suggestions to help you get started:

• Reach out to your school: Consider contacting your future high school or checking their website for information regarding the curriculum. Many schools provide course outlines or recommended summer reading lists. This will give you a better understanding of what to expect
  • Review previous coursework: Take some time to review the subjects you studied in middle school. Look over your notes, textbooks, or any other materials you have from your previous classes. This will help refresh your memory and reinforce your understanding of key concepts
  • Focus on fundamental skills: High school often builds upon the foundational skills you've learned in middle school. Make sure you have a good grasp of fundamental concepts in subjects like math (basic operations, fractions, algebraic concepts), English (grammar, vocabulary, writing), and science (scientific method, basic scientific principles)
  • Practice time management and study skills: High school can be demanding, so it's essential to develop effective study habits and time management skills. Experiment with different study techniques, find a study routine that works for you, and practice staying organized
  • Seek additional resources: There are numerous online resources, educational websites, and even tutoring services available to help you reinforce your knowledge and bridge any learning gaps. Consider using platforms like Khan Academy, Coursera, or YouTube tutorials to access free educational content which I remember were helpful for me
  • Don't hesitate to ask for help: If you come across specific topics or concepts that you find challenging, don't hesitate to ask for help. Reach out to your teachers, classmates, or even online forums and communities dedicated to academic support. Remember, everyone learns at their own pace, and seeking assistance is a sign of strength

Lastly, try not to overwhelm yourself. High school is a fresh start for everyone, and teachers understand that students come from diverse backgrounds. Use this summer as an opportunity to prepare, but also make time for relaxation and enjoying your break. And hey, you've got this! With a positive mindset, willingness to learn, and a proactive approach, you'll be well-prepared for your freshman year. And if any feelings of anxiety come up, here for you, you aren't alone in this. How does all of this sound to you?

Thank you, Luie!! I'll have to check to see which school I'll go to in Fall. I'll be homeschooled so I'll have online resources at the ready. As for curriculum standards, I'll check the websites of schools in my area. I'm currently studying pre algebra and geometry. Along with biology and World history. So hopefully I'll be well prepared by Fall.

• Digital Mentor
15 minutes ago, ur_gay_bestie said:

Thank you, Luie!! I'll have to check to see which school I'll go to in Fall. I'll be homeschooled so I'll have online resources at the ready. As for curriculum standards, I'll check the websites of schools in my area. I'm currently studying pre algebra and geometry. Along with biology and World history. So hopefully I'll be well prepared by Fall.

That sounds great, please do keep me updated about your progress, rooting for you to have a good freshman year. How do you feel about home schooling btw?Β 

Staff-Account.png

Just now, Luie said:

That sounds great, please do keep me updated about your progress, rooting for you to have a good freshman year. How do you feel about home schooling btw?Β 

I think homeschooling is the best option for me right now. Especially because there are a lot of school related accidents at the school I would end up going to. The only possible reason I wouldn't be homeschooling is if I was sent to a private school.

• Digital Mentor
On 6/14/2023 at 6:39 PM, ur_gay_bestie said:

I think homeschooling is the best option for me right now. Especially because there are a lot of school related accidents at the school I would end up going to. The only possible reason I wouldn't be homeschooling is if I was sent to a private school.

Respect your decision and I think it's great you know what is best for you in this moment. I did want to check though what kind of accidents are you referring to (if you'd like to speak about this a bit more)?Β 

Staff-Account.png

1 minute ago, Luie said:

Respect your decision and I think it's great you know what is best for you in this moment. I did want to check though what kind of accidents are you referring to (if you'd like to speak about this a bit more)?Β 

There are a lot of school shootings and incidents regarding the students safety. One of my friends, who I think transferred from that school, told me it's just overall not a good school to attend.Β 

• Digital Mentor
On 6/16/2023 at 4:09 PM, ur_gay_bestie said:

There are a lot of school shootings and incidents regarding the students safety. One of my friends, who I think transferred from that school, told me it's just overall not a good school to attend.Β 

I understand that the issue of school safety can be a significant concern, and it's understandable that you're feeling worried given the incidents you've heard about. It's important to prioritize your well-being and education, and that includes feeling safe and secure in your learning environment, so it makes complete sense why you're choosing to home school, I think it's a well thought out decision.Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png