This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Abuse

Family problems

Bisexual Soprano Β  Β 

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Abuse

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Long story short, I believe my brother is suffering from emotional abuse.

Β 

I've been reading up on the signs of it a lot, and I've noticed that (almost) everything our parents do that hurts me, they do it to him even more.

Β 

The trouble is that I've also been guilty of hurting him without realizing.Β  I want to help him, but I don't know how, and I don't know if he'll want the help.

• Digital Mentor
This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Abuse

Click this notice to reveal the content.
2 hours ago, Bisexual Soprano said:

Long story short, I believe my brother is suffering from emotional abuse.

I've been reading up on the signs of it a lot, and I've noticed that (almost) everything our parents do that hurts me, they do it to him even more.

The trouble is that I've also been guilty of hurting him without realizing.Β  I want to help him, but I don't know how, and I don't know if he'll want the help.

Hi there, thank you so much for reaching out. I know that it can be difficult to open up about these things and I'm really glad that you feel like you can share this with us. I'm so sorry that you and your brother are experiencing this (you mentioned that your parents also hurt you emotionally) and we want to help you with this. Emotional abuse can be hard to spot sometimes and it's really good that you've been noticing what's been going on and that you want to help your brother. You sound like a really caring person and I'm sure he appreciates you looking out for him.

Do you mind telling us a bit more about what's been going on. Maybe you could give us an example of what your parents do, if you are happy to share that with us? Also, can I ask, how old your brother is?Β  You can also send us a message on confidential support if you feel more comfortable to talk about it there. We're here for youΒ 

Staff-Account.png

If there’s anything that I know about emotional abuse, it’s that somebody experiencing it is normally feeling very conflicted. I don’t know exactly what is going on in your situation, but the emotional abuse could end up harming your brother and his mental health in the long run, and have serious consequences. One thing to do is approach the situation with the understanding that your brother may not want to open up about his feelings or experiences. Many times, emotional abuse makes the person experiencing it feel invalidated and alone, or maybe like they aren’t that important or deserving of love. He might think that any help isn’t sincere, or that he’s not worth it. That being said, don’t push him to talk about it too much, but make sure that he knows that you are there from him. You could do this by spending more time with him, doing small things to show that you care or are on his side, and being kind in general. If he is a physical person, he might appreciate a gesture like a hug from you. The situation most likely won’t be solved quickly, and it could take time to heal from whatever is going on, but remember that regardless of the fact that you have accidentally hurt him, he is still your brother, and you are still here trying to find ways to help him.Β 
Good luck! πŸ’—

2 hours ago, vi6 said:

If there’s anything that I know about emotional abuse, it’s that somebody experiencing it is normally feeling very conflicted. I don’t know exactly what is going on in your situation, but the emotional abuse could end up harming your brother and his mental health in the long run, and have serious consequences. One thing to do is approach the situation with the understanding that your brother may not want to open up about his feelings or experiences. Many times, emotional abuse makes the person experiencing it feel invalidated and alone, or maybe like they aren’t that important or deserving of love. He might think that any help isn’t sincere, or that he’s not worth it. That being said, don’t push him to talk about it too much, but make sure that he knows that you are there from him. You could do this by spending more time with him, doing small things to show that you care or are on his side, and being kind in general. If he is a physical person, he might appreciate a gesture like a hug from you. The situation most likely won’t be solved quickly, and it could take time to heal from whatever is going on, but remember that regardless of the fact that you have accidentally hurt him, he is still your brother, and you are still here trying to find ways to help him.Β 
Good luck! πŸ’—

Thank you! I'll do my best :)

• Digital Mentor
On 6/2/2023 at 10:51 PM, Bisexual Soprano said:

Thank you! I'll do my best :)

Would you like to talk about it some more? We're here for youΒ 

Staff-Account.png

On 6/5/2023 at 5:30 AM, Aurora said:

Would you like to talk about it some more? We're here for youΒ 

I don't think I need to talk about it more but if I do I'll let you know

• Digital Mentor
4 hours ago, Bisexual Soprano said:

I don't think I need to talk about it more but if I do I'll let you know

Thank you for letting us know. We're here for you if you need us :)

Staff-Account.png