I’m a closeted bisexual and I want a new start

AfricanBeautyy    

I knew I was bisexual since I was in the 7th grade but I didn’t know 100% until I was 16 (I’m 17 now). I have been in the closet for sooo long and I’m soo afraid to come out. I don’t want to be looked differently but I want to come out. I want to start over and be more of myself. After my big break up with y Long distance boyfriend, I realized that I want to wait for him but he told me to be happy. I can’t be happy if I keep lying to others about my sexuality but...I don’t know what to do🤦��♀�

Hey there AfricanBeautyy,

Welcome! Thank you so much for sharing.

We want you to feel able to be the truest version of yourself! It definitely can be scary to talk to people about your sexuality... have you shared this with anyone? Is there anyone you trust enough to consider telling?

How does this affect your dating life? Do you feel like you need to be 'out' before you explore relationships with people?

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Heya AfricanBeautyy,

I'm glad you could speak to your friend, but I'm sorry she can't really understand what you're going through.

I hear that you don't want people to treat you differently... but some people aren't going to understand. You want to be able to date people... so what is stopping you from doing that?

Are you afraid of rejection from people you'd like to date?

What I found, regarding partners, is that it gets easier to talk to them about having attraction to both men and women, over time. You'll be nervous at first, but communication is key for healthy relationships. And you being bisexual is completely different from the choice to be monogamous or in an open relationship.

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my experience, if there's a local or in school lgbt+ club or community, id encourage you to join it as it makes for a good basis for support and a place to discuss lgbt topics, especially if you feel like the people you have come out to don't understand. Having this kind of connection can help people come to terms with coming and being out.