>>>Is it Okay for You to Question/Explore Your Sexuality??...Join the Conversation>>>

Willow    

Welcome!

Here’s a space for all of us who can’t seem to find the word that best describes our sexual interests. Whether we’ve had relationships with people, or if our exploring has all been through mental processing, it’s important to find one another for support.

So, who all is exploring their sexual and romantic interests?! We’d love to hear your story of where you are and where you’ve been. No judgement! This is a safe place to be completely accepted. Let’s help each other navigate this part of our lives.

... And, just as a reminder, here’s our article on how exactly where you’re at in your sexuality journey is a perfect place to be:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/8-things-know-questioning-sexuality/

** How To Use This Thread**

- If you want to post your own story, hit the "Reply to This Post" Button

- If you'd like to comment/support another person's experience, hit the "Comment" button on the right side of their reply.

- And always remember to be respectful and empathetic toward people's experiences

Edited by Willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hello.

I joined this site cause I could use some advice as I am not sure what to do.

I'm questioning my sexuality and I was wondering if I could ask for some advice here. Or should I go to another part of the site?

Edited by NyssaNight

Hi Nyssanight,

Welcome! This thread would be a great place to share, so that all of us who are exploring (or have, in the past) can find support 😊

-willow

Thank you for responding!

Thing is I was wondering. Because I was questioning my sexuality. As I always thought I was straight but I started having feelings for a close friend another girl. But I'm not sure. Part of me is scared I'm just imagining things or I just want to know what it like to date. I'm scared of ruining our friendship. I'm scared because i'm not sure. What if I'm not straight? I would be living my life as a lie, and it would be gnawing on me because I could never tell my parents. As they are both homophobic.

I'm really not sure what to do at all.

I could use some advice or someone to talk to.

Hey Nyssanight,

There's lots of reasons why we start having feelings for people, and it's beautiful when you find your self interested in the "person" vs. a person's sex/gender.

It's completely okay to be curious... maybe you could speak to this friend? Casually bring up that you might be interested in exploring relationships with women, too. See how they respond? I can understand not wanting to ruin the friendship. Any other friends who you could tell who might support you?

You're open to exploring what your sexuality is... it's not that you're living a lie. I think by talking about what your questioning is actually living fully and truthfully!

I'm sorry that you won't be able to talk about this with your family... but what if you did date a girl? You don't think you'd be able to bring her home for dinner with your family?

-willow

The thing about mentioning it to this friend is the fact is she herself is part of the LGBTQ community. But back when we first met talking about sexuality she told me hers and I told her I was straight. I don't think I could bring it up.

As for other friends, I don't feel close enough to tell them I'm questioning and the friends I do, I don't know what they'd say.

To be honest, it's not so much I could never bring her for dinner or something like that it's more I've always been wary about what others think. I don't tend to speak out or call attention to my self. If I'd be able to tell my parents I could feel comfortable their and being in public would be easier.

• 2 weeks later...
The thing about mentioning it to this friend is the fact is she herself is part of the LGBTQ community. But back when we first met talking about sexuality she told me hers and I told her I was straight. I don't think I could bring it up.

As for other friends, I don't feel close enough to tell them I'm questioning and the friends I do, I don't know what they'd say.

To be honest, it's not so much I could never bring her for dinner or something like that it's more I've always been wary about what others think. I don't tend to speak out or call attention to my self. If I'd be able to tell my parents I could feel comfortable their and being in public would be easier.

Hey NyssaNight,

I know sometimes groups can be excluding, if you don't fit the perfect mold. You changing your mind/exploring more is okay! And it's okay if you shift more times over time. I hope you can feel comfortable telling your friend.. she might be your best ally and be able to offer support and resources.

One of the challenges in life is to overcome worrying about what others think about how you live your life. We need to prioritize our health and happiness... It's ultimate self love!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for you advice. I still feel a little nervous about this but your advice really helped me relax a little. I hope I can tell my friend too but i think i might be able too sometime. Thank you.

• Like 1

I joined this community because I found out a was bisexual and I needed support and some answers because I’m new to this whole thing. Plus I have my first relationship and it’s the same gender so I was confused and not sure how to handle all of it. I came here looking for support and I found it . Thank you to all of you! I am still exploring my sexuality but now I know that no matter what I am I’ll always have some sort of support even if it’s not from my family.

Thing is I was wondering. Because I was questioning my sexuality. As I always thought I was straight but I started having feelings for a close friend another girl. But I'm not sure. Part of me is scared I'm just imagining things or I just want to know what it like to date. I'm scared of ruining our friendship. I'm scared because i'm not sure. What if I'm not straight? I would be living my life as a lie, and it would be gnawing on me because I could never tell my parents. As they are both homophobic.

Hey Nyssan,

Wow. I can somewhat relate, sometimes I don't know if i'm straight either. But what i do know is that there's this girl that is funny, nice and I act totally weird around her and its like an alter ego. On top of all these mixed feelings my family is very religious I honestly want my life to stay the same for just a little longer.

- Sara C.

omg i can relate 100% this is totally me. i had a crush on a straight friends but also like this girl.... but i not sure either.