Religious stuff (I'm an Atheist)

_Kai_    

So my family is VERY religious, they don't necessarily go to church nor say prayers every night, but when they do they try to force me to do so as well. I have told them over & over that I'm an Atheist & do not wish to participate in their Christian stuff, but they keep telling me "You should pray with us", "God exists so just accept it", & ect. As of today, my younger brother (Who is literally 1 year younger than me but still close-minded as hell) was trying to get me to be a Christian again- Its irritating especially when he's repeatedly saying that all other religions "Gods/Creators" are just a form of theirs, & that there cannot be multiple gods existing (Basically I took it as he was being disrespectful about other religions). 

I don't know what else I can tell them I am without them getting defensive or trying to convince me to be a Christian once again. Sure I make jokes like "I can't pray....but past me shall ✨", but thats just how I am- I personally don't see that sentence being disrespectful in any kind, especially since people have found it funny. Oh also I've been brung to a church numerous times by other family members as well as my own parents to try & "Bring the faith back to me", I don't think they think this but I do & I'll say that it irritates me alot. I don't go on rambling about my beliefs on how I don't believe in all that crap & that its nonsense to me, because I like to be respectful to others beliefs & religions ESPECIALLY in front of their faces, which by this point I assume they don't know what the word "Respectful" means anymore to be quite honest. 

I'm just confused on what to do & I'm just seeking advice from mainly mentors since I assume this would be an odd topic for anyone else to want to discuss @Digital Mentor

• Hug 1

21 minutes ago, _Kai_ said:

So my family is VERY religious, they don't necessarily go to church nor say prayers every night, but when they do they try to force me to do so as well. I have told them over & over that I'm an Atheist & do not wish to participate in their Christian stuff, but they keep telling me "You should pray with us", "God exists so just accept it", & ect. As of today, my younger brother (Who is literally 1 year younger than me but still close-minded as hell) was trying to get me to be a Christian again- Its irritating especially when he's repeatedly saying that all other religions "Gods/Creators" are just a form of theirs, & that there cannot be multiple gods existing (Basically I took it as he was being disrespectful about other religions). 

I don't know what else I can tell them I am without them getting defensive or trying to convince me to be a Christian once again. Sure I make jokes like "I can't pray....but past me shall ✨", but thats just how I am- I personally don't see that sentence being disrespectful in any kind, especially since people have found it funny. Oh also I've been brung to a church numerous times by other family members as well as my own parents to try & "Bring the faith back to me", I don't think they think this but I do & I'll say that it irritates me alot. I don't go on rambling about my beliefs on how I don't believe in all that crap & that its nonsense to me, because I like to be respectful to others beliefs & religions ESPECIALLY in front of their faces, which by this point I assume they don't know what the word "Respectful" means anymore to be quite honest. 

I'm just confused on what to do & I'm just seeking advice from mainly mentors since I assume this would be an odd topic for anyone else to want to discuss @Digital Mentor

Hi @_Kai_, I'm an Atheist too but i haven't told my parents cause they are very Christan too. I can understand where you are coming from when you say that they want you to pray with them and you wish to not participate in it. I have told my sister and she is trying to get me to be Christan agian but I don' really want to and I Respect what they belive but i Don't belive it. I just though i would say something on here cause i am in the same spot as you 

• Hug 1

2 minutes ago, -Marra- said:

Hi @_Kai_, I'm an Atheist too but i haven't told my parents cause they are very Christan too. I can understand where you are coming from when you say that they want you to pray with them and you wish to not participate in it. I have told my sister and she is trying to get me to be Christan agian but I don' really want to and I Respect what they belive but i Don't belive it. I just though i would say something on here cause i am in the same spot as you 

I'm glad there's another that understands where I'm coming from, I'm wondering if you have told your sister that u don't want to have her try & make you be a Christian again? Also I feel like Atheists are some of the nicest people to come across just because we are more understanding of where they're coming from as well (Might just be my own opinion but eh) 

Just now, _Kai_ said:

I'm glad there's another that understands where I'm coming from, I'm wondering if you have told your sister that u don't want to have her try & make you be a Christian again? Also I feel like Atheists are some of the nicest people to come across just because we are more understanding of where they're coming from as well (Might just be my own opinion but eh) 

I ask her if she could stop but she never did. I do think that Atheists people are really nice people to come across so its not just you.

2 minutes ago, -Marra- said:

I ask her if she could stop but she never did. I do think that Atheists people are really nice people to come across so its not just you.

Damn, do you think that if you explained on why exactly you don't want her trying to make you a Christian again if she would listen? (I'm so sorry if that doesn't make sense, my memory has gotten alot worse & I'm forgetting English a bit, even though its my first language-) 

Just now, _Kai_ said:

Damn, do you think that if you explained on why exactly you don't want her trying to make you a Christian again if she would listen? (I'm so sorry if that doesn't make sense, my memory has gotten alot worse & I'm forgetting English a bit, even though its my first language-) 

i don't think she would listen. she is 18 so she don't care about what i got to say 

4 minutes ago, -Marra- said:

i don't think she would listen. she is 18 so she don't care about what i got to say 

Damnnn, yeah I find that the adults are much harder to convince & talk to, I'm surprised an 18 year old cares that much about convincing you though?

I’m so sorry to see that this is happening 😞

I am personally Christian, but in my personal beliefs and faith, I believe that being Christian is a choice, and it is not my job to force other people to be Christian. I can choose to be Christian and it doesn’t make me better than anyone else, or give me the right to be a jerk and insist that my way is better. I think everyone has the capability of being nice and accepting regardless or spiritual beliefs or religion. 

Honestly I think the problem with most Christians is that they lose the point of what we believe god wants us to do. A lot of people take it upon themselves to convert other people when that isn’t their job, and quite frankly none of their business. I know that the Bible says to love everyone the way god loves you, and regardless of whether I agree with someone’s beliefs I can still do that.

I personally believe because I have had experiences that made me believe for myself. That was my choice and nobody else’s, and that opportunity should be extended to everyone. It sucks that sometimes the people that are supposed to foster our individualism can be the most oppressive.

my heart goes out to you friend 😞💛

• Like 1
  • Hug 1

10 minutes ago, TinyTurtles said:

I am personally Christian, but in my personal beliefs and faith, I believe that being Christian is a choice, and it is not my job to force other people to be Christian. I can choose to be Christian and it doesn’t make me better than anyone else, or give me the right to be a jerk and insist that my way is better. I think everyone has the capability of being nice and accepting regardless or spiritual beliefs or religion. 

Honestly I think the problem with most Christians is that they lose the point of what we believe god wants us to do. A lot of people take it upon themselves to convert other people when that isn’t their job, and quite frankly none of their business. I know that the Bible says to love everyone the way god loves you, and regardless of whether I agree with someone’s beliefs I can still do that.

I personally believe because I have had experiences that made me believe for myself. That was my choice and nobody else’s, and that opportunity should be extended to everyone. It sucks that sometimes the people that are supposed to foster our individualism can be the most oppressive.

Awwww, dude you are the type of Christian I get along with, you don't force your religion & understand where the boundaries between beliefs is TvT

4 minutes ago, _Kai_ said:

Awwww, dude you are the type of Christian I get along with, you don't force your religion & understand where the boundaries between beliefs is TvT

Awwwwwwww thanks 💛💛💛

im glad, and so grateful to be your friend 🥰

I really hope your fam comes around too bc I know how Christians can be and we ain’t pretty, but like it isn’t that hard to agree to disagree, or love someone for who they are rather than what they believe. I swear people just like to look for reasons to fight or discriminate ;^;

• Yaaas 1

1 hour ago, _Kai_ said:

Damnnn, yeah I find that the adults are much harder to convince & talk to, I'm surprised an 18 year old cares that much about convincing you though?

i really don't know why she is but i think it may have somethin to do with our parents 

28 minutes ago, TinyTurtles said:

I kinda wish more Christians where like you. Like not forcing their religion and i am not saying all Christians are like that cause i know they are not all like that

24 minutes ago, TinyTurtles said:

Awwwwwwww thanks 💛💛💛

im glad, and so grateful to be your friend 🥰

I really hope your fam comes around too bc I know how Christians can be and we ain’t pretty, but like it isn’t that hard to agree to disagree, or love someone for who they are rather than what they believe. I swear people just like to look for reasons to fight or discriminate ;^;

100000% agree, but the people who do look for reasons to fight or discriminate must just be lacking attention🤔

14 minutes ago, -Marra- said:

i really don't know why she is but i think it may have somethin to do with our parents 

I kinda wish more Christians where like you. Like not forcing their religion and i am not saying all Christians are like that cause i know they are not all like that

Damn, hmmmmm it might be society or your parents ima have to agree on that 

2 hours ago, _Kai_ said:

Damn, hmmmmm it might be society or your parents ima have to agree on that 

i think it could also be the fact we live right by a church.

18 hours ago, -Marra- said:

i think it could also be the fact we live right by a church.

O- 

@_Kai_ I'm an Atheist too but so is my family, I don't rly know what to say to that but they shouldn't be forcing u, just don't let them force u okay? It's ur choice x

5 hours ago, Melissa M said:

@_Kai_ I'm an Atheist too but so is my family, I don't rly know what to say to that but they shouldn't be forcing u, just don't let them force u okay? It's ur choice x

Oooo, I'm not changing my Atheist beliefs till I perish like *pOoF* ✨

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, _Kai_ said:

Hi, it sounds like you've gotten a lot of good comments on this, but I saw that you also wanted input from mentors here!  It sounds difficult to have family not being respectful of your beliefs and it would be a decision for you to decide if you want to bring it up seriously with them.  How do you think they would react to a serious conversation about respecting your beliefs? 

Also, How much does this affect you?  If this is causing a lot of difficulty in your life, it could be worth doing something about.  If you find it is just an annoyance, you might be able to keep ignoring them.  What do you think?

Staff-Account.png