Help!!

B1827    

Hey, 

I met this girl on inst, got her snap and we started talking. We started then sending pics promising not to screenshot and she did and is threatening to send them online to everyone I know unless I send money. What do I do?

• Hug 1

If you can't talk her out of it, maybe you can threaten her back with saying you'll report her to the police? Not sure that's safe, tho :/

sorry you're going through this, sending you a hug if you want one :)

• Digital Mentor
7 hours ago, B1827 said:

Hey, 

I met this girl on inst, got her snap and we started talking. We started then sending pics promising not to screenshot and she did and is threatening to send them online to everyone I know unless I send money. What do I do?

Hi @B1827, thank you for getting in touch. I'm Aurora and I am one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label. I've noticed that you are new here so I wanted to start off by welcoming you to the community. It's great to have you here.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're being threatened with your nudes. I can imagine this is very stressful for you, but I just want you to know that you have come to the right place and we can help you. If you would find it helpful, we may be able to have their Snapchat account removed. To do this, please send a link to your account and theirs with screenshots of the conversation where they threaten you. Please block out any of the nude content when you send this over. That's really important! You can either use our only support tool https://ditchthelabel.org/report/ or send an email to support@ditchthelabel.org if you prefer. 

If you haven’t done so already, I would suggest that you make your all your social media accounts private and block the individual (be sure to also select the option to block any new accounts they might make). You could even ask your followers to block the account. If they know your real name, take this out of any social media usernames. You could also try to find their account on other social media platforms and block them there. 

Also, have you thought about reporting this to the police because the blackmail aspect of this is a crime? Do you mind me asking how old you are? Depending on your age and where you live, they might also be committing a crime just by having your photos. 

I wanted to reassure you that we have lots of experience in supporting people who have been blackmailed to pay money in the same way you have.  As a general rule we advise to never pay the individual. Their only motivation is money, and when they realise they aren’t going to get it, they have nothing to gain by then leaking the picture as they know they won’t get the money. 

I hope this has reassured you a little. How are you feeling now? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Staff-Account.png

2 hours ago, Aurora said:

Hi @B1827, thank you for getting in touch. I'm Aurora and I am one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label. I've noticed that you are new here so I wanted to start off by welcoming you to the community. It's great to have you here.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're being threatened with your nudes. I can imagine this is very stressful for you, but I just want you to know that you have come to the right place and we can help you. If you would find it helpful, we may be able to have their Snapchat account removed. To do this, please send a link to your account and theirs with screenshots of the conversation where they threaten you. Please block out any of the nude content when you send this over. That's really important! You can either use our only support tool https://ditchthelabel.org/report/ or send an email to support@ditchthelabel.org if you prefer. 

If you haven’t done so already, I would suggest that you make your all your social media accounts private and block the individual (be sure to also select the option to block any new accounts they might make). You could even ask your followers to block the account. If they know your real name, take this out of any social media usernames. You could also try to find their account on other social media platforms and block them there. 

Also, have you thought about reporting this to the police because the blackmail aspect of this is a crime? Do you mind me asking how old you are? Depending on your age and where you live, they might also be committing a crime just by having your photos. 

I wanted to reassure you that we have lots of experience in supporting people who have been blackmailed to pay money in the same way you have.  As a general rule we advise to never pay the individual. Their only motivation is money, and when they realise they aren’t going to get it, they have nothing to gain by then leaking the picture as they know they won’t get the money. 

I hope this has reassured you a little. How are you feeling now? 

Ok. I’ll work on blocking them now. I have reported it to the police but the officer I talked to said that there is nothing local law enforcement can do. And I’m 24. I ended up paying them a small amount, even though now I realize I shouldn’t have. But I’m still feeling embarrassed.

• Digital Mentor
21 hours ago, B1827 said:

Ok. I’ll work on blocking them now. I have reported it to the police but the officer I talked to said that there is nothing local law enforcement can do. And I’m 24. I ended up paying them a small amount, even though now I realize I shouldn’t have. But I’m still feeling embarrassed.

Please know that there is nothing to feel ashamed of. You trusted the other person and you were having fun online together. That's a perfectly normal thing to do. What's not OK is that the other person broke your trust. And I'm really sorry this happened to you. You did nothing wrong!

I'm sorry that there is nothing the local law enforcement can do. That must have been frustrating to hear. If you would like us to try and have the girls Snapchat account removed then we can try and do that for you. Just let us know. 

We're here for you and we can support you through this! 

Staff-Account.png

4 hours ago, Aurora said:

Please know that there is nothing to feel ashamed of. You trusted the other person and you were having fun online together. That's a perfectly normal thing to do. What's not OK is that the other person broke your trust. And I'm really sorry this happened to you. You did nothing wrong!

I'm sorry that there is nothing the local law enforcement can do. That must have been frustrating to hear. If you would like us to try and have the girls Snapchat account removed then we can try and do that for you. Just let us know. 

We're here for you and we can support you through this! 

I have blocked the instagram account but not the Snapchat account yet. Do you recommend I do that too? I think this was a scam of them trying to blackmail me to getting money. However, should we try to remove the Snapchat account too in addition to it being blocked?

• Digital Mentor
17 hours ago, B1827 said:

I have blocked the instagram account but not the Snapchat account yet. Do you recommend I do that too? I think this was a scam of them trying to blackmail me to getting money. However, should we try to remove the Snapchat account too in addition to it being blocked?

I think you're absolutely right, it sounds very much like a scam and them trying to blackmail you into getting money. Unfortunately, this is happening more and more. So please know that you are not the only one. 

I would definitely recommend you blocking the snapchat account and stopping all communication with them. This will make it very clear to them that you are not going to send them anymore money and they will most likely move onto the next person.

It is completely up to you if you would like us to try and remove their Snapchat account as well in addition to you blocking them. The advantage would be that if we're successful in removing their account, they can no longer use this account to scam others and also, Snapchat will be made aware of what's been going on. But I can also understand if you feel that blocking their accounts is enough. If you would like us to try and remove the Snapchat account then please can you send us an email to support@ditchthelabel,org, with your account name and their account name and screenshots of the conversation,  where they threatened you.  Please make sure you block out any nude content - that's really important. 

How are you feeling about everything now? 

Staff-Account.png

5 hours ago, Aurora said:

I think you're absolutely right, it sounds very much like a scam and them trying to blackmail you into getting money. Unfortunately, this is happening more and more. So please know that you are not the only one. 

I would definitely recommend you blocking the snapchat account and stopping all communication with them. This will make it very clear to them that you are not going to send them anymore money and they will most likely move onto the next person.

It is completely up to you if you would like us to try and remove their Snapchat account as well in addition to you blocking them. The advantage would be that if we're successful in removing their account, they can no longer use this account to scam others and also, Snapchat will be made aware of what's been going on. But I can also understand if you feel that blocking their accounts is enough. If you would like us to try and remove the Snapchat account then please can you send us an email to support@ditchthelabel,org, with your account name and their account name and screenshots of the conversation,  where they threatened you.  Please make sure you block out any nude content - that's really important. 

How are you feeling about everything now? 

Ok sounds good. Thank you for your help with this.

• Digital Mentor
On 3/2/2023 at 5:22 PM, B1827 said:

Ok sounds good. Thank you for your help with this.

Not at all. We're here for you if you want to talk about this some more. 

Staff-Account.png