Extortion and social media

lostri Β  Β 

Recently, someone exchanged pictures with me on a dating site and they are now trying to use them against me for money. I told the police and the FBI, but I still think their threat is real to release them. What can I do?

Hi, I'm Catsup, one of the support mentors here.Β  I'm sorry to hear that someone has been threatening you with your pictures.

Have you reported this behavior to the dating website as well?Β  I would make sure, if you have not already, to have screenshots and evidence of the conversation, remember the profile, and then block the user and not engage in more contact with them.

Can I also ask which dating site it was?Β  Feel free to respond here or in confidential support if preferred.Β  For certain social medias like facebook, for example, we are trusted flaggers and can prioritize reporting to them if you email the evidence to support@ditchthelabel.org.

Finally, since you have reported to the police and FBI as well, I think that was a good step also.Β  Many people who engage in this type of harassment will not follow up with their threats, if you do not respond further, since they will see that they are not going to get the money.Β  I know this is still a scary situation.Β  How does all this sound?

Staff-Account.png