This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Other

How do I stop this girl from making me sit on the inside?

CoconutCultist Β  Β 

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Other

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Whenever I am really anxious, I get really bad claustrophobia, which triggers panic attacks. I am usually always anxious after school, so I need to sit on the outside seat on the bus.

But this one girl refuses to let me sit on the outside because she wants to talk to her friends, and since no one else ever sits with me since I'm the weird kid, she always gets in my seat.

I've tried waiting on the out side, then standing up, but she just shoves me over. I don't have diagnosed anxiety, so I can't report it to anyone because there is 'no proof' that I have panic attacks

On 2/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, CoconutCultist said:

Whenever I am really anxious, I get really bad claustrophobia, which triggers panic attacks. I am usually always anxious after school, so I need to sit on the outside seat on the bus.

But this one girl refuses to let me sit on the outside because she wants to talk to her friends, and since no one else ever sits with me since I'm the weird kid, she always gets in my seat.

I've tried waiting on the out side, then standing up, but she just shoves me over. I don't have diagnosed anxiety, so I can't report it to anyone because there is 'no proof' that I have panic attacks

Is there no other seats you can sit on? Can you not sit alone in a seat near the aisle? Or is the bus always really full?

On 2/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, CoconutCultist said:

I feel your pain on my end. I get that a lot too, mostly from my sister and her bullshit friends. So I feel your pain here.

4 hours ago, Madeleine_357 said:

Is there no other seats you can sit on? Can you not sit alone in a seat near the aisle? Or is the bus always really full?

Our bus usually always is packed to the brim, usually kids have to stand in the aisle/Emergency Exit area

4 hours ago, CoconutCultist said:

Our bus usually always is packed to the brim, usually kids have to stand in the aisle/Emergency Exit area

Well, why don't you tell her that you get claustrophobic? Or ask her to sit somewhere else if she can't be a nice enough person to not talk to her friend for a bus ride. You could find someone who doesn't mind letting you sit in the aisle, or get there first and don't let her push you to the window seat. An alternative is trying to get over this part of your fear. You don't have to face the whole fear, maybe just close your eyes and count to ten when your not in the aisle seat, or listen to music and look out the window.Β 

• Digital Mentor

On 2/3/2023 at 4:25 PM, CoconutCultist said:

Hi there, thanks for letting us know what's been going on. I can understand why this situation is making you feel even more anxious. I can see that @Madeleine_357Β has already been giving you some good advice. Have you told the girl how you feel and why you would like to sit in the isle? Also, I'm just wondering how you would feel about getting some support around your anxiety and panic attacks? It sounds like this is really having an affect on your wellbeing. What do you think?Β 

Staff-Account.png

On 2/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, CoconutCultist said:

firstly why did you not tell me we could have talked about this and second who is it (if you know there name)

1 hour ago, -Marra- said:

firstly why did you not tell me we could have talked about this and second who is it (if you know there name)

1. Sorry there was never an opportunity to tell you

2. I'll tell you on email

On 2/4/2023 at 7:48 PM, Madeleine_357 said:

Well, why don't you tell her that you get claustrophobic? Or ask her to sit somewhere else if she can't be a nice enough person to not talk to her friend for a bus ride. You could find someone who doesn't mind letting you sit in the aisle, or get there first and don't let her push you to the window seat. An alternative is trying to get over this part of your fear. You don't have to face the whole fear, maybe just close your eyes and count to ten when your not in the aisle seat, or listen to music and look out the window.Β 

I have told her I'm claustrophobic, she doesn't care. And she's usually the last person on and the last open seat is usually next to me on the bus. I've tried getting there first but she just shoves me over or refuses to sit down until the bus monitor comes over and tells me to sit on the inside to stop the issue. Standing up does help, however.

3 minutes ago, CoconutCultist said:

1. Sorry there was never an opportunity to tell you

2. I'll tell you on email

ok and if you do need to tell me something pull me to the side in the mornings you can ask people if they tell me something imporant i will pull the out and talk to them. ( i Try and make it not so a lot of people know)

11 minutes ago, -Marra- said:

ok and if you do need to tell me something pull me to the side in the mornings you can ask people if they tell me something imporant i will pull the out and talk to them. ( i Try and make it not so a lot of people know)

Okay, will do!

3 minutes ago, CoconutCultist said:

Okay, will do!

:)

1 hour ago, CoconutCultist said:

I have told her I'm claustrophobic, she doesn't care. And she's usually the last person on and the last open seat is usually next to me on the bus. I've tried getting there first but she just shoves me over or refuses to sit down until the bus monitor comes over and tells me to sit on the inside to stop the issue. Standing up does help, however.

yeah that does suck. Have you tried other things like the things I suggested you can do when you feel claustraphobic?

15 minutes ago, Madeleine_357 said:

yeah that does suck. Have you tried other things like the things I suggested you can do when you feel claustraphobic?

Not yet, but I currently will should the problem persist

37 minutes ago, CoconutCultist said:

Not yet, but I currently will should the problem persist

Yeah that might be a good idea. Lmk if it works for you the next time this happens. :)