Coming Out

browniesaredelicious5 Β  Β 

I am a bisexual, I have dated both girls and boys, however, my parents only know of the males that I have dated. I had a change in situation and no longer can get away with dating girls along with boys without them finding out and would like to come out to them. The problem is that they are very Christian, they have come to the conclusion that I am straight and I am afraid I have made it so that they will refuse the fact that I am bisexual when I do come out by only bringing home boys. I really do not know if I should come out or wait out a few years for situation to change and I can make it on my own. I want to come out though, I just do not know how to go about it and am terrified of the response. Any help is great

2 hours ago, browniesaredelicious5 said:

I am a bisexual, I have dated both girls and boys, however, my parents only know of the males that I have dated. I had a change in situation and no longer can get away with dating girls along with boys without them finding out and would like to come out to them. The problem is that they are very Christian, they have come to the conclusion that I am straight and I am afraid I have made it so that they will refuse the fact that I am bisexual when I do come out by only bringing home boys. I really do not know if I should come out or wait out a few years for situation to change and I can make it on my own. I want to come out though, I just do not know how to go about it and am terrified of the response. Any help is great

One thing I can say is ask them what they think about lgbtq. Also, it's good that you want to come out to them, just make sure that you are safe. I also want to come out to my parents but I can't because they are sort of homophobic and I don't want to put myself in a bad place. If they say something bad, don't come out. If they say something positive and seem to be okay with it, come out. Say what if I am lgbtq and see what they say. If you are not comfortable asking them about it, then I don't think you are ready yet, but by what you posted, you seem ready. I recommend you do it in a calm place and make sure you are comfortable. Don't force it because that is one of the worst things you can do. I got this advice from @mivoei. I really hoped this helped!! Here for you always!! :)

• Thanks 1

• Digital Mentor
18 hours ago, browniesaredelicious5 said:

Hi @browniesaredelicious5, I can see that you are new to the forum and I wanted to say a big hello and welcome. It's lovely to have you here. I;m Aurora and I am one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label. I give support and advise to those who reach out to us.Β 

Thanks so much for letting us know what's been going on for you. I'm really glad you found us. This is a safe and welcoming space and you can be as open as you like here.Β  It sounds to me like you're ready to come out to your parents but at the same time you are scared to tell them, Is that right? Please know, that it's really normal to feel scared.Β  I can see that @huskeyΒ has already given you some advice πŸ™‚. I just wanted to echo her words, that the most important thing is your safety. So if for any reason you think it might not be safe to come out eg if you think your parents might kick you out then it might be best to wait and not say anything yet. Can I ask, how do you think they might react?Β 

Staff-Account.png